Qatar Agriculture Market Size
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Qatar Agriculture Market Analysis
The Qatari agriculture market is projected to register a CAGR of 6.3% during the forecast period.
- According to Qatar News Agency, the Ministry of Municipality mentioned that Qatar achieved several of the goals of its food security policy in 2021 as local vegetable output increased from roughly 66,000 metric tons to over 103,000 metric tons, resulting in a 41 percent self-sufficiency rate. By 2023, local vegetable self-sufficiency is anticipated to be at 70%. Local dates are presently 86 percent self-sufficient, and by 2023, it is anticipated that percentage will rise to 95 percent.
- Qatar meets most of its domestic cereal demand through imports. Brazil, the United States, India, and Australia are some of the major exporters of cereals to Qatar. The country is aiming for self-sufficiency in agricultural products by encouraging its farmers to adopt advanced farming techniques. In comparison, the vegetable segment in the country is very strong. Tomato, pumpkin, eggplant, cabbage, cucumber, onion, and cauliflower are the most grown vegetables in Qatar.
In 2022, Qatar Charity will have distributed and installed dozens of solar-powered irrigation units for internally displaced farmers in northern Syria with its "Support Vegetable Value Chain’ project, which aims to support 200 summer vegetable farmers with the necessary agricultural inputs such as fertilizers, pesticides, and drip irrigation networks. The project also aims to provide agricultural guidance on the best means to achieve the highest level of vegetable production at the lowest costs, give remunerative profits to the farmers, and provide vegetables at the lowest prices in the market. Therefore, a number of factors, like the increase in adoption of advanced farming technologies and conducive government policies supporting domestic crop production along with a highly active local supply system, are some of the factors driving market growth in the country.
Qatar Agriculture Industry Segmentation
Agriculture is the art and science of the cultivation of crops. For the purpose of the study, all the major crops grown in the country using open field and protected cultivation is also considered. The scope includes only fresh produce. The Qatari Agriculture Market is Segmented by Food Crops/Cereals, Fruits, and Vegetables. The Report includes the Production Analysis (Volume), Consumption Analysis (Value and Volume), Export Analysis (Value and Volume), Import Analysis (Value and Volume), and Price Trend Analysis. The report offers market sizing in value in terms of both USD million and volume in terms of metric ton.
Qatar Agriculture Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Qatar Agriculture Market according to our research experts:
Increase in Adoption of High Technology Farming Practices
Qatar's climate is characterized by low rainfall and high temperatures. Despite these challenges, the country has made tremendous efforts over the past few years by adopting sustainable and smart agriculture techniques such as hydroponics, smart irrigation, and aquaponics that have improved the optimum utilization of arable land and the quality of fruits and vegetables. Hydroponics, a predominant system used in vertical farming, is gaining popularity among Qatari farmers, especially to grow local fruits and vegetables using minimal water resources. In 2021, Qatar launched its national agriculture project, which was developed through an aquaponic system that utilizes aquaculture and hydroponics. The project’s production capacity is expected to reach 32,000 metric tons per year, and it applies the horizontal farming system.
The Department at the Ministry of Municipality is working to encourage farms by launching various agricultural initiatives and providing technical support and services to farmers. It has distributed 5,777 greenhouses (normal, cooled, and hydroponic) to farm owners from 2016 to 2021 in order to form an integrated system for the greenhouse, which leads to increased production and reduced waste in water use. In 2021, the country produced the highest vegetable production of tomatoes with 32,555.1 metric tons along with coverage of an area of 191.5 hectares in greenhouses in the country, followed by cucumber and sweet pepper, which will make the country implement more advanced technologies and adopt farming practices to make the country self-sufficient in agricultural production.
Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar (CMU-Q), a Qatar Foundation partner university, is launching a new research project that will optimize the operations of greenhouses in Qatar. The project is supported by a National Priorities Research Program grant from the Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF). This research will empower the management of greenhouses with advanced tools so they can precisely know what’s going on and what will happen in a crop’s development. Agrico has developed a highly sophisticated hydroponics system capable of producing various types of organic and pesticide-free vegetables and fruits year-round and aimed at producing better and higher-quality yields at a faster pace. Qatar, on the other hand, has begun exporting its hydroponic farming technology in the region, particularly to Oman.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Vegetable Sector Dominates the Market
According to the Minister of Municipality and Environment, Qatar is planning to achieve self-sufficiency in vegetable production in the coming years. Qatari produce covers around 70% of the market’s needs during some parts of the year. As a result, a plan to achieve complete self-sufficiency is expected to be implemented in cooperation with farm owners. This has led to the development of vegetable production. Qatar is launching a food security program with the aim of ensuring that, by 2023, nearly 70% of the number of vegetables consumed by citizens will grow at the local level, which will be four times the amount produced at present. Under this program, the country is aiming to achieve self-sufficiency in tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, cauliflower, potatoes, eggplant, onions, and cabbage. Overall vegetable production in the year 2021 was 101,881 metric tons, which is a decline compared to the year 2020 because of COVID-19 restrictions on various agricultural operations and a lack of technical and labor facilities in the country. Further, vegetable production is going to witness growth in the country in the coming years.
Using modern production methods applied to both outdoor and indoor cultivation, local farms are making considerable efforts to improve their vegetable production. This also includes the rapid development of equipment and practices suitable for use in hot, arid climates, such as greenhouses, water-conserving irrigation techniques, and cooling technologies that enable the availability of vegetables all year round, thereby boosting Qatar's domestic production. This is further aiding the growth of the market studied. Various agricultural farms in the country are also expanding their vegetable production.
Qatar Agriculture Market News
- August 2022: Carnegie Mellon University has launched a new research project in Qatar (CMU-Q), a Qatar Foundation (QF) partner university, to optimize the operations of greenhouses in Qatar. This project is funded by the Qatar National Research Fund through the National Priorities Research Program (QNRF) and will use machine learning (ML) to coordinate a fleet of mobile robots to collect visual data from Qatar greenhouse plants autonomously and use AI and machine learning to create predictive models of the crop’s development status, quality, health, and expected yield.
- June 2021: The Finnish ag tech company iFarm has formed a partnership with Sadarah Partners to manage a commercial-scale indoor farm with the latest vertical farming technology for growing leafy greens, strawberries, and edible flowers that will help ensure a year-round supply of fresh produce in the country.
Qatar Agriculture Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.3 Market Restraints
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Production Analysis by Volume, Consumption Analysis by Value and Volume, Import Analysis by Value and Volume, Export Analysis by Value and Volume, and Price Trend Analysis)
5.1 Food Crops/Cereals
6. Regional Analysis
6.1 PESTLE Analysis
6.2 Supply Chain Analysis
6.3 Government Policies
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Qatar Agriculture Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Qatar Agriculture Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Qatar Agriculture Market?
The Qatar Agriculture Market is growing at a CAGR of 6.3% over the next 5 years.
Qatar Agriculture Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Qatar Agriculture market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Qatar Agriculture analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.