Africa Glass Bottles & Containers Market Size
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Africa Glass Bottles & Containers Market Analysis
The Africa Glass Bottles and Containers Market is expected to register a CAGR of 5.67% during the forecast period. The COVID-19 pandemic affected most of the end-user industries in Africa. Owing to the local government's lockdowns to curb the spread of the virus, there has been an adverse impact on both the demand and supply of glass
packaging products. Further, the Russia-Ukraine war has an impact on the overall packaging ecosystem.
- Alcoholic drinks, like beer, account for the major segment of the market, as glass does not react with the chemicals present in drinks and, therefore, preserves the aroma, strength, and flavor of these beverages, making it a favorable option for packaging. It is packed in dark-colored glass bottles to preserve the contents, which are prone to spoilage when exposed to UV light.
- Beer consumption is also increasing in the region, creating a demand for glass bottles and containers. According to the data published by Kirin (January 2022), a Japanese beverage company, the annual beer consumption in Africa was 13.13 million kiloliters in 2020, which is equivalent to 20.74 billion beer bottles of 633 milliliters each.
- Governmental authorities have pushed to improve the local production of medications in Africa, bringing new opportunities for glass packaging. According to International Finance Corporation (IFC), pharmaceutical imports comprise as much as 70% to 90% of drugs consumed in most of Sub-Saharan Africa.
- In addition, the heavy investments directed toward developing and manufacturing COVID-19 vaccines also create a need for glass vials and other forms of packaging. In July 2021, World Bank and government institutions from the United States, Germany, and France offered a EUR 600 million (USD 709.8 million) loan to Aspen Pharmacare, one of the biggest pharmaceutical companies in Africa, for manufacturing vaccines.
- The vendors in the region are also investing heavily to improve the manufacturing process and expand. For instance, in July 2022, the Nigel production facility of Ardagh Glass Packaging (AGP) in Gauteng, South Africa, received a ZAR 1.5 billion (USD 95 million) extension.
Africa Glass Bottles & Containers Industry Segmentation
The Africa Glass Bottles and Containers Market report tracks the revenue accrued from the sales of metal products offered by various vendors in the market. The study assesses the key market parameters, underlying growth influencers, and major vendors operating in the industry, which supports the market estimations and growth rates over the forecast period.
Africa Glass Bottles and Containers Market is segmented by End-user Industry (Beverages, Food, Cosmetics, Pharmaceutical) and Country (Egypt, Nigeria, South Africa, Rest of Africa). Moreover, the beverages segment is further divided into alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages. The market sizes and forecasts are provided in terms of value (USD million) for all the above segments.
|By End-user Industry|
|Other End-user Industries|
|Rest of Africa|
Africa Glass Bottles & Containers Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Africa Glass Bottles & Containers Market according to our research experts:
Beverages is expected to Hold Major Market Share
- Africa is home to more than 500 wineries and produces wines for local and international markets. Huge vegetation creates close-to-perfect temperatures, and the presence of sandy loams aids in cultivating and harvesting vineyards. This is coupled with hot days and cool nights that set the right environment to grow and harvest grapes and ferment the same to manufacture wine.
- According to the International Organization of Vine and Wine, 10.6 million hectoliters of wine was produced in South Africa in 2021, up 2% from the previous year, which was comparatively higher than other countries such as China and Germany, producing only 5.9 million hectoliters and 7.9 million hectoliters of wine in 2021. The production is expected to scale during the forecast period, which is expected to drive more opportunities for glass bottle manufacturers in the region.
- Multiple initiatives that drove investments from local beer manufacturers are expected to drive the demand for glass bottle packaging further. For instance, in September 2022, The South African Competition Commission permitted Heineken to acquire South African wine-and-spirits company Distell. Additionally, it has approved Heineken's full acquisition of Namibia Breweries (NBL). This is expected to increase beer exports and the production volume of beer in the region. Thus driving the demand for the market in the region.
- Non-alcoholic beverages such as carbonated drinks are also expected to integrate more regional glass bottles. For instance, in February 2022, Coca-Cola announced that it intended to sell 25% of its beverages in returnable and reusable glass bottles by the year 2030, concentrating most of its efforts on the markets in Africa, Latin America, and the Southwest of the United States.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Egypt is anticipated to Grow with the Highest Growth Rate
- Egypt was an importer of glass until 2010, but in 2012, the country was able to achieve self-sufficiency with the product category and began exporting locally-produced glass. According to the Federation of Egyptian Industries, Egypt exports about 30% of its glass production.
- Neighboring African markets, which are unable to manage domestic production, are the primary purchasers of Egyptian glass, especially the Arab and African markets and the countries associated with Egypt in trade agreements, such as the COMESA countries, which include Libya and Eswatini.
- Egypt also exports large quantities of raw material, nearly 1 million tons annually. A switch to exporting finished products instead of raw materials could result in better financial revenues for the country with the added benefit of the growth of the manufacturing sector.
- Using locally collected raw materials in industries helps to regulate investments within the country before it leaves it, premising local development in several aspects, offering more opportunities to developing the industry.
- The country has been attracting foreign investments for glass manufacturing. For instance, in August 2022, with an investment of USD 400 million, Vitro Architectural Glass intends to expand into Egypt and construct two facilities. Vitro is interested in the construction of a glass production facility with 1.1 million square feet and 493,000 feet of land to create container glass. The plant's output will be exported by the company.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Africa Glass Bottles & Containers Industry Overview
The Africa Glass and Container Market are moderately competitive. The major vendors in this market have a strong foothold in this market due to their reliable access to distribution channels. Additionally, Console Glass (Pty) Ltd operates in Kenya, Nigeria, and Ethiopia, and the capacity of these three plants is 37,000, 40,000, and 40,000 tons per annum of container glass products, respectively. Some other major vendors in this market are Schott AG, Bonpak (Pty) Ltd, Nurrin Pharmalab (Pty) Ltd, Frigoglass SAIC, etc.
In December 2022, Frigoglass announced new funding and an agreement on a comprehensive recapitalization. The Frigoglass Group will be given the first payment of EUR 13.25 million (USD 13.95 million). The Frigoglass Group would receive a second tranche of EUR 10 million (USD 10.54 million) on December 7th, 2022. The company would receive a third tranche, totaling EUR 10 million (USD 10.54 million), on or around December 21st, 2022.
In April 2022, One of the largest manufacturers of glass packaging on the African continent, Consol Holdings Proprietary Limited, was acquired by Ardagh Group. The acquisition, for USD 1 billion, including net debt acquired in Consol, represents a large inward investment into the South African and other markets in which Consol works, with a follow-up investment program of ZAR 3 billion (USD 200 million) in two additional furnaces.
Africa Glass Bottles & Containers Market Leaders
Bonpak Pty Ltd.
Moco Cosmetic Packaging cc
Consol Glass Pty Ltd
Beta Glass Plc (Frigoglass Industries (Nigeria) Ltd)
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Africa Glass Bottles & Containers Market News
- November 2022: At its Nigel manufacturing site in Gauteng, South Africa, Ardagh Glass Packaging Africa revealed plans to invest in a third furnace. Following the recently completed Nigel 2 (N2) extension, investing in a third furnace (N3) would boost the facility's capacity even more. The extension is anticipated to be completed in late 2023 and would take advantage of Ardagh Group's technological expertise and global sourcing.
- June 2022: New gin bottles for Cape Saint Blaize Distillery were created by the South African package design studio Bravo Design to reflect the brand's commitment to innovation and authenticity. The distillery needed packaging that would stand out in a competitive market when it debuted a line of gins, including Classic, Floristic, and Oceanic.
Africa Glass Bottles & Containers Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter Five Forces
4.2.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Impact of COVID-19 on the Glass Bottles and Container Industry of Africa
4.5 Global Overview of Africa Glass Bottles and Containers Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing Disposable Income and Integration of Glass Bottles and Containers in Premium Packaging
5.1.2 Shift Toward Glass Bottles and Containers due to Stringent Regulations
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Alternative Forms of Packaging such as Rigid Plastic are Challenging the Market Growth
5.3 Market Opportunities
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By End-user Industry
126.96.36.199 Wine and Spirits
188.8.131.52 Beer and Cider
184.108.40.206 Others (Non-alcoholic and Alcoholic)
6.1.5 Other End-user Industries
6.2 By Country
6.2.3 South Africa
6.2.4 Rest of Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Middle East Glass Manufacturing Company SAE (MEG)
7.1.2 Consol Glass (Pty) Ltd
7.1.3 United Glass Company
7.1.4 Glamosa glass (Pty) ltd
7.1.5 Schott AG
7.1.6 Frigoglass SAIC
7.1.7 National Company for Glass and Crystal (SAE)
7.1.8 Arab Pharmaceutical Glass Co.
7.1.9 Bonpak (Pty) Ltd
7.1.10 Kandil Glass
7.1.11 Nurrin Pharmalab (Pty) Ltd
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
Africa Glass Bottles & Containers Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Africa Glass Bottles and Containers Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Africa Glass Bottles and Containers Market?
The Africa Glass Bottles and Containers Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.67% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Africa Glass Bottles and Containers Market?
Bonpak Pty Ltd., Moco Cosmetic Packaging cc, Consol Glass Pty Ltd, Beta Glass Plc (Frigoglass Industries (Nigeria) Ltd), Glamosa Glass are the major companies operating in Africa Glass Bottles and Containers Market.
Africa Glass Bottles and Containers Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Africa Glass Bottles and Containers market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Africa Glass Bottles and Containers analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.