PET Bottles Industry Overview
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
PET Bottles Market Analysis
The PET bottle market is expected to register a CAGR of 6.8% over the forecast period. Adoption of PET bottles can result in up to 90% weight reduction compared to glass, primarily allowing a more economical transportation process. Due to its transparency and natural CO2 barrier properties, PET can be easily blown into bottles or molded into other shapes. Colorants, UV blockers, oxygen barriers/scavengers, and other additives can be used to enhance the properties of PET and design bottles to meet brand-specific needs.
- PET is derived from PE and offers superior stiffness compared to other plastics. It also maintains a robust protective structure and has moisture resistance. It is used in the production of PET bottles for beverages and liquids. PET is used to make single-use plastic containers for frozen foods. PET is well known because it provides a superior oil barrier that helps resist chemicals that can damage plastics.
- The emergence of polymers made from polyethylene terephthalate (PET) and high-density polyethylene (HDPE) expanded the range of applications for PET bottles. The market witnessed increased demand for PET bottles in bottled and soft water. Many innovative, cost-effective, and sustainable packaging solutions are on the market, and plastics are gaining acceptance worldwide. This led significant companies such as Amcor and more to introduce new plastic product formats to meet bottle demand.
- The food segment is one of the largest consumers of plastics. The demand for rigid plastic packaging in the food industry is high as it increasingly replaces traditional materials such as cardboard, metal, and glass due to its advantageous properties, such as lightweight and low cost. The food segment includes sauces and condiments, dairy products, pickles and syrups, jams, processed vegetables and fruits, and baby food packaging solutions. Such factors leverage PET in the food industry.
- The market is expected to be significantly challenged due to dynamic regulatory standards changes, primarily due to increasing environmental concerns. Governments worldwide have been responding to public concerns regarding plastic packaging waste, especially plastic packaging waste, and implementing regulations to minimize environmental waste and improve waste management processes.
- With the outbreak of COVID-19, the PET bottles market has witnessed a significant drop in sales owing to factors such as supply chain disruption that has slackened the demand for PET resins and lockdowns being enforced in various countries. Moreover, the Russia-Ukraine war has an impact on the overall packaging ecosystem.
PET Bottles Industry Segments
The market defines the revenue generated from the sales of PET bottles across various end-user verticals, such as beverages, food, personal care, household care, and more, across multiple regions. The analysis is based on the market insights captured through secondary research and primaries. The market also covers the major factors impacting the growth of the PET bottles market in terms of drivers and restraints.
The PET Bottles Market is segmented by End-User Vertical (Beverages (Packaged Water, Carbonated Soft Drinks, Fruit Juice, Energy Drinks), Food, Personal Care, Household Care, Pharmaceuticals), and Geography (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East, and Africa. The market sizes and forecasts are provided in terms of value (USD million) for all the above segments.
|Other End-user Verticals|
PET Bottles Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the PET Bottles Market according to our research experts:
Beverages Segment is Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- The demand for PET bottles in the beverage sector is expected to grow along with the increasing demand for bottled water, soft drinks, and energy drinks. The need for bottled water stems from consumer preferences for high-quality drinking water, fear of illness from drinking contaminated tap water, and the portability and convenience of bottled water.
- Also, the increasing demand for packaged drinking water among consumers worldwide is driving the market for the PET bottle for packaging bottled water as it offers high shelf life. According to the British Soft Drink Association annual report 2021, bottled water consumption in the United Kingdom accounted for 2,542 million liters.
- Beverage companies are focused on innovating new solutions. For instance, in line with its goal to transition to 100% recycled and plant-based PET bottles by 2030, the Suntory Group unveiled a prototype PET bottle made from a 100% plant-based materials partnership. The bottle was developed in collaboration with US-based Anellotech for Suntory’s Orangina and Tennensui soft drinks brands in the European and Japanese markets.
- Moreover, many new entrants in the carbonated business are bringing light for rPETbottles and PET bottles to the region. For instance, in February 2021, Unesdasoft drink beverage packing pledged to make the EU (European Union) fully circular by 2030. According to the company, the bottle packaging sector includes 90% collection of recyclable packaging.
- Rapid urbanization changes consumer behavior because more and more consumers are interested in sustainability. The growing disposable income is propelling the purchasing power, and the smaller size of urban households compared to rural areas will give rise to new consumption trends.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
United Kingdom is Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- The increasing proliferation of PET bottles owing to ease of use, lower cost, and low material weight in different end-user applications, ranging from food, beverage, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals, are driving the market for PET bottles in the country. According to the British Plastics Federation, 70% of soft drinks are packaged in PET plastic bottles in the country.
- In January 2022, Biffa, an integrated waste management business based in the United Kingdom, collaborated with Esterform Packaging, a U.K.-based independent producer of plastic bottles for carbonated drinks and alcohol, to supply the bottle producer with recycled plastic. The companies will use about 6,000 metric tons of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) from Biffa at their factories in Leeds and Worcestershire every year. Biffa processes PET at its Seaham facility, which the company states can recycle more than 2 billion plastic bottles annually.
- Further, in September 2022, United Kingdom's Research and Innovation's Smart Sustainable Plastic Packaging (SSPP) challenge launched a new EUR 2.5 Million (USD 2.1 million approximately) competition. The SSPP has been aiming for a balanced approach that targets some critical barriers to increasing plastic packaging reduction, reuse, and recycling. The challenge proposal includes novel chemical recycling approaches for PET (polyethylene terephthalate) packaging.
- The demand for healthier food alternatives, like fresh milk, is increasing because this type of milk is considered more nutritious and healthier than shelf-stable milk. According to the OECD data, the estimated consumption volume of fresh dairy products in the EU-28 would increase to about 37 million Tonnes by 2028.
- The region is also witnessing increased demand for flavored milk, and vendors are shifting to recyclable plastic bottle options. For instance, in January 2021, FrieslandCampina announced it to make PET bottles from 100% recycled PET (rPET). Moreover, the company's Research & Development department has additionally developed a brand called Zipper to make separate labels from bottles to recycle them. This has enabled the company to reduce 1.9 million kilos of new plastic. Thus, catering to the circular economy. Therefore, such developments and initiatives taken by various Milk producers in the region have been driving the demand for rPET bottles for milk packaging.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
PET Bottles Market Competitor Analysis
The PET Bottles market is highly competitive due to multiple domestic and international vendors. The market appears to be fragmented, with the major players adopting various strategies like mergers, acquisitions, product innovation, and strategic partnerships to expand their reach and stay competitive. Some of the major players in the market are SABIC, Amcor Plc, Berry Global Inc., Indorama Ventures, Graham Packaging Company, and more.
In July 2022, Amcor Rigid Packaging (ARP) launched samples of spirits bottles made of recyclable polyethylene terephthalate (PET) that fulfill the newly approved U.S. Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) sizes. The company's new PET bottles were developed to provide customers the freedom and flexibility to explore new markets.
In March 2022, Berry Global Group partnered with Koa to launch Body Cleanser & Body Moisturizer bottles made from 100% recycled plastic. Produced at the company's manufacturing facility in Winchester, VA, the PET bottles are made with 100% PCR and silk-screen decoration, which eliminates the requirement to account for label materials in the recycling process, aligning with Koa's commitment to sustainability.
PET Bottles Market Top Players
Indorama Ventures Public Company Ltd
Berry Global Inc.
Graham Packaging Company Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
PET Bottles Market Recent Developments
- October 2022: Indorama Ventures announced the opening of its PETValue bottle-to-bottle recycling plant in the Philippines in partnership with Coca-Cola Beverages Philippines. The plant is IVL's latest recycled PET plant. This internationally integrated petrochemical company continues to expand its position as one of the world's largest producers of recycled resins for plastic beverage bottles.
- May 2022: SABIC, one of the leaders in the chemical industry, introduced LNP ELCRIN WF0061BiQ resin. This material utilizes ocean-bound polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles as a feed stream for chemical upcycling into polybutylene terephthalate (PBT) resin. This new grade adds to the company's extensive portfolio of chemically upcycled LNP ELCRIN iQ materials.
PET Bottles Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Increasing Adoption of Lightweight Packaging Methods
4.2.2 Increasing Demand from Bottled-water Industry
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Environmental Concerns Regarding Use of Plastics
4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.5 Porter Five Forces
4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.6 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. TECHNOLOGY SNAPSHOT
5.1 Stretch Blow Molding
5.2 Injection Molding
5.3 Extrusion Blow Molding
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 End-user Vertical
18.104.22.168 Packaged Water
22.214.171.124 Carbonated Soft Drinks
126.96.36.199 Fruit Juice
188.8.131.52 Energy Drinks
184.108.40.206 Other Beverages
6.1.3 Personal Care
6.1.4 Household Care
6.1.6 Other End-user Verticals
6.2.1 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
6.2.3 Asia Pacific
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia Pacific
6.2.4 Latin America
184.108.40.206 Rest of Latin America
6.2.5 Middle East and Africa
220.127.116.11 Saudi Arabia
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 United Arab Emirates
126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle East and Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.2 Indorama Ventures Public Company Ltd
7.1.3 Neo Group UAB
7.1.4 Novapet SA
7.1.5 BASF SE
7.1.6 Amcor Plc
7.1.7 Berry Global Inc.
7.1.8 Graham Packaging Company Inc.
7.1.9 Alpha Packaging
7.1.10 Plastipak Holdings Inc.
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
PET Bottles Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The PET Bottles Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of PET Bottles Market?
The PET Bottles Market is growing at a CAGR of 6.8% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in PET Bottles Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in PET Bottles Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in PET Bottles Market?
SABIC, Indorama Ventures Public Company Ltd, Amcor Plc, Berry Global Inc., Graham Packaging Company Inc. are the major companies operating in PET Bottles Market.
PET Bottles Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the PET Bottles sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The PET Bottles research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to (2023to2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the PET Bottles report PDF.