Plastic Caps and Closures Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Fastest Growing Market
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Plastic Caps and Closures Market Analysis
The plastic caps and closures market is expected to register a CAGR of 4.6% over the forecast period. Plastic caps and closures are used in industry segments such as food and beverages, pharmaceuticals, household goods, cosmetic products, etc. Caps and closures are the final components of packaging and are responsible for maintaining the integrity of the product packing.
- Heat induction cap liner could be used on various bottles made up of different plastic materials such as PP, PVC, HDPE, etc., which protects the container from leakage and provides tamper evidence characteristics to it, due to which the market will grow in the future.
- Caps and closures use PP and PE as the primary raw materials for manufacturing. Industries rely heavily on plastic caps and closures, providing a cost-effective sealing solution. The demand for packaged food and pharmaceutical drugs has been increasing at a healthy rate. As an impact of this, the caps and closures market is also expected to record an increase in demand during the forecast period.
- A rise in bottled water demand from customers worldwide drives the market for plastic caps and closures. Plastic caps and closures are used to seal water bottles to avoid spills, simplify transportation, and improve shelf life. The growing awareness of water contamination and safety issues is driving up demand for bottled water.
- Additionally, 15.6 billion gallons of bottled water were drunk globally, up 4.5% from the previous year, according to Beverage Marketing Corporation (BMC). This is anticipated to persist during the projection period, driving up demand for plastic caps and the market for closures.
- However, this industry is comprehensively dependent on raw materials suppliers for manufacturing. PP and PE, which are used as raw materials, have significantly fluctuating costs in the market. As the production cost depends on this raw material, manufacturers find it challenging to maintain constant output.
- Before the COVID-19 pandemic, the worldwide food and beverage sector grew due to the rising popularity of ready-to-eat foods and portable food. As hospitals, pharmaceutical companies, and makers of personal protective equipment (PPE) react to the crisis, there will likely be a strong demand for plastic caps and closures in the pharmaceutical sector.
- During the pandemic, there was a significant increase in demand for hand-washing products and hand sanitizers, which had a favorable effect on the plastic caps and closures industry. There has also been an impact of the Russia-Ukraine war on the overall packaging ecosystem.
Plastic Caps and Closures Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Plastic Caps & Closures Market according to our research experts:
Polypropylene Material to Account for a Significant Share
- Plastic converters are the heart of the plastics industry. Polypropylene (PP) comes under thermoplastic, is reversible, and can be reheated and reshaped. Polypropylene caps are known for good impact strength, durability, cost-effectiveness, and thermal resistance. Polypropylene bottle caps are autoclavable. Wide-mouth PP caps are well-suited for many dry products.
- F422 HDPE Foam Lined Polypropylene Caps of Qorpak are acid resistant. This F422 liner comprises a .38" LDPE core sandwiched between identical layers of .002" - .003" virgin HDPE. These polypropylene closures with foamed polyethene liners have excellent sealing characteristics and offer good chemical resistance, including acids, alcohols, alkalis, aqueous products, cosmetics, household oils, and solvents.
- The food and drink industry is the EU's most significant manufacturing sector regarding jobs and value-added, and the demand for plastic converters is increasing. In the last ten years, EU food and drink exports have doubled, reaching over EUR 90 billion and contributing to a positive balance of almost EUR 30 billion, by which the demand for PP is witnessing high growth.
- Germany is Europe's largest beverage industry, representing the fourth largest industry sector in Germany. Due to the high demand for beverage products such as energy drinks, mocktails, etc., the need for PP is growing faster.
North America to Occupy Major Share
- The food industry is one of the major contributors to the caps and closures market in the region. Consumers are becoming more health conscious, and the demand for healthy beverages is on the rise with raising personal incomes has made bottled water a more accessible convenience for individuals and is boosting factor for the growth of the caps and closures market.
- Food products stored in bottles are protected through various kinds of airtight plastic closures. Metal caps or closures are also used for the storage of food products, such as grains, typically stored in glass containers. The United States is the second-largest food market in the world, and it is expected to account for a considerably high share of the caps and closures market.
- In the United States and Canada, retail shelf packaging is growing popular, owing to the changing lifestyles of the people. This faster pace of lifestyle is expected to further fuel the growth of sales through retail channels.
- This trend is further bolstered by the growing millennial population in the workforce. Millennial population in the United States is found to work across flexible work hours, which further bolsters the demand for on-the-go foods, which is expected to drive the market for caps and closure (owing to increase in packaged food).
Plastic Caps and Closures Industry Overview
The plastic caps and closures market is in between consolidated and fragmented because it has many players, and there are not many significant players driving the market. Some of the major players in the market studied include Silgan Holdings Inc., Amcor Ltd, Crown Holdings Inc., Aptar Group Inc., and Berry Global Inc. Recent developments in the market are -
- October 2022 - A new two-piece child-resistant cap from Rieke was introduced to meet the needs of consumers who are aging and becoming older. Manufacturers and distributors of pharmaceutical and nutraceutical items can help shield future generations from unintentional exposure to dangerous products while furthering their sustainability goals with Rieke's most recent innovation, Child Resistant Caps.
- September 2022 - As part of a packaging development across its entire portfolio, Coca-Cola Great Britain, in collaboration with Coca-Cola Europacific Partners (CCEP), has been expanding the rollout of its attached caps to 500ml plastic bottles. The company claims that this will help increase recycling rates and reduce waste.
- The new design makes it possible for the cap to remain attached to the bottle even after it has been opened, making it simpler to recycle the complete package and guaranteeing that no cap is lost. The bottle top also reads, "I am attached to recycling with you."
Plastic Caps and Closures Market Leaders
Silgan Holdings Inc.
Crown Holdings Inc.
Aptar Group Inc.
Berry Global Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Plastic Caps and Closures Market News
- December 2022 - The IMF-5 In-Mold Flexspout tamper-evident closure for plastic pails was just introduced by Rieke, a TriMas Packaging Brand, to give its customers better brand and product security. Product piracy and counterfeiting are the main issues facing the increasingly interconnected global economy.
- February 2022 - One of the top producers of plastic and aluminum closures worldwide, BERICAP won the TOP 100 prize in 2022 as one of Germany's most creative small and medium-sized businesses. The TOP 100 certification highlights the company's innovative role in the field of closure technology. The business is also the only producer of food, beverage, and industrial packaging and closures to be a TOP 100 winner in 2022. The most significant innovation management contest in Germany is the TOP 100.
Plastic Caps and Closures Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Demand for Packaged Food and Pharmaceutical Drugs
4.2.2 Increasing Demand from Small and Medium Scale End-user Industries
4.3 Market Challenges
4.3.1 Fluctuation in the Cost of Raw Materials
4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.4 Cosmetics and Toiletries
5.1.5 Other Applications
5.2 Raw Material
5.2.4 Other Raw Materials
5.3.1 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 Latin America
220.127.116.11 Rest of Latin America
5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
18.104.22.168 United Arab Emirates
22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
126.96.36.199 South Africa
188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle East & Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles*
6.1.1 Silgan Holdings Inc.
6.1.2 Amcor Ltd
6.1.3 Crown Holdings Inc.
6.1.4 Aptar Group Inc.
6.1.5 Berry Global, Inc.
6.1.6 Albéa S.A.
6.1.7 Ball Corporation
6.1.8 Evergreen Packaging Inc.
6.1.9 Global Closure Systems
6.1.10 Guala Closures Group
6.1.11 Pact Group
6.1.12 Tetra Laval International S.A.
6.1.13 BERICAP GmbH & Co. KG
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Plastic Caps and Closures Market Research FAQs
What is the current Plastic Caps and Closures Market size?
The Plastic Caps and Closures Market is projected to register a CAGR of 4.60% during the forecast period (2024-2029)
Who are the key players in Plastic Caps and Closures Market?
Silgan Holdings Inc., Amcor Ltd, Crown Holdings Inc., Aptar Group Inc. and Berry Global Inc. are the major companies operating in the Plastic Caps and Closures Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Plastic Caps and Closures Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2024-2029).
Which region has the biggest share in Plastic Caps and Closures Market?
In 2024, the North America accounts for the largest market share in Plastic Caps and Closures Market.
What years does this Plastic Caps and Closures Market cover?
The report covers the Plastic Caps and Closures Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Plastic Caps and Closures Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Plastic Caps and Closures Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Plastic Caps and Closures market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Plastic Caps and Closures analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.