Europe Ammunition News
- December 2022: A European NATO customer entered into a contract with Rheinmetall to supply a maximum of 300,000 rounds of 40mm ammunition, consisting of LV (low velocity) and HV (high velocity) variants. The contract includes a first call-off of approximately 75,000 cartridges.
- January 2022: The German Bundeswehr signed a contract with Rheinmetall AG to modernize its mortar systems and provide 120mm mortar ammunition. The contract is worth approximately EUR 27 million (USD 30 million) and will be completed by 2023.
Get full market coverage in this industry. Download Sample Report.
Related Defense Industry News
- September 2023: Elbit Systems announced that it would present Skylark 3 Hybrid Small Tactical Unmanned Aerial Systems (STUAS) for the first time at the Singapore Airshow. The Skylark 3 Hybrid system is equipped with a hybrid propulsion system that offers 18 hours of operations and improves mission effectiveness and cost efficiency.
- March 2023: Singapore’s Ministry of Defense exercised an option to acquire eight F-35B Lightning II Fighter multirole combat aircraft from Lockheed Martin Corporation. The contract was signed in 2020 for 12 F-35Bs to be delivered by the end of the decade for the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF).
- August 2023: Collins Aerospace, an RTX Corporation was awarded a USD 24 million contract for producing and delivering electric generators with containers to the United States Army Anniston Depot to support the US Army's Abrams M1A2 Main Battle Tank.
- April 2023: EnerSys, the global leader in stored energy solutions for industrial applications, acquired Industrial Battery and Charger Services Limited (IBCS), a leading battery service and maintenance provider based in the United Kingdom (UK). The acquisition represents a strategic move for EnerSys, enabling the company to expand its motive power service offerings and strengthen its presence in the UK market.
- October 2023: The security division of OSI Systems, Inc. was awarded a ten-year contract for the supply of an integrated screening system at ports and borders in Uruguay. As per the contract, OSI Systems will deploy and integrate the EAGLE T60 high-energy system and trailer-mounted vehicle inspection systems, and perform security screening and remote image analysis.
- August 2023: Mitie (UK) extended its contract with Associated British Ports (ABP), ensuring security services for 17 UK ports. Initially granted a three-year contract in 2021, this extension pushes their collaboration through 2025. Mitie's main focus is safeguarding ABP locations and securing passengers and cargo as they enter and leave the UK. Their responsibilities include managing entry gate barriers, performing patrols, vehicle inspections, and monitoring CCTV systems at most port sites to deter potential criminal activity and antisocial behavior.
- December 2022: Elbit Systems Ltd. announced it will supply the Skylark I LEX Unmanned Aerial Systems to the Australian army. Skylark I-LEX is designed for the in-house operation by the moving forces and features a 40-km Line Of Sight range that makes it useful for several roles, including force protection and reconnaissance operations.
- October 2022: The Government of India approved creating the Weapon Systems (WS) branch. The WS branch would encompass operators in four specialized streams of Surface-to-Surface missiles, Surface-to-Air missiles, Remotely Piloted Aircraft, and Weapon System Operators in twin/multi-crew aircraft. The branch will contribute immensely by enhancing the war-fighting capability of the Indian Air Force.
March 2023: Elbit Systems Ltd. subsidiary, Elmet International SRL., was awarded a three-year follow-on USD 120 million contract from General Dynamics European Land Systems (GDELS) to supply unmanned turrets, mortar systems, and Remote-Controlled Weapon Stations (RCWS) for the Piranha V Armored Personnel Carrier (APC) of the Romanian Armed Forces.
September 2022: Elbit Systems Ltd. was awarded a USD 80 million contract to supply unmanned turrets for Armoured Fighting Vehicles (AFVs) of an undisclosed Asian-Pacific country. The contract will be completed by 2025. As per the contract, Elbit Systems will supply 30mm-gun unmanned light turrets that integrate display systems and sensors for improved situational awareness in Armoured Fighting Vehicles, increase target acquisition capabilities, and fire control systems.
June 2023: RTX Corporation was awarded a USD 117.5 million contract by the US Army for low-rate initial production of 3rd Generation Forward Looking Infrared (3GEN FLIR) B-Kit sensors. The advanced targeting sensor systems enhance lethality, survivability, and situational awareness, providing combat overmatch for the Army's ground combat platforms.
December 2022: Leonardo DRS (DRS) was awarded a contract worth USD 39.5 million by the US Army to provide advanced infrared sensors for the next-generation sighting systems.
In June 2023, the Israeli Ministry of Defense received its first new Namer 1500 armored personnel carrier (APC). The Namer 1500 APC was developed as part of Israel’s Merkava and Armored Vehicle Directorate tank flagship project that will replace the country’s aging M113 APC vehicles.
In June 2022, Israel's defense ministry announced the country would purchase hundreds of combat vehicles from Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) for the country’s special forces. The value of the procurement contract was worth more than 100 million new shekel (USD 28 million).
July 2022: Huntington Ingalls Industry revealed that its Ingalls Shipbuilding division was awarded a cost-plus-incentive-fee contract for engineering and design from the US Navy for the next-generation guided-missile destroyer DDG(X) program.
May 2022: Austal made an announcement about being awarded a USD 230.5 million contract by the US Navy for the detailed design and construction of EPF 16, which is set to become the US Navy's newest Expeditionary Fast Transport (EPF) ship.
- August 2023: Collins Aerospace, an RTX Corporation's business, was awarded a USD 36 million contract from the US Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) to develop and demonstrate a platform-agnostic, Beyond-Line-Of-Sight satellite communications pod.
- May 2022: THALES received a firm order from the French Defence Procurement Agency (DGA) to provide 21 TALIOS optronic pods to equip French forces.
In September 2023, the UK Ministry of Defense provided a USD 48.96 million contract to BAE Systems plc to produce the Striker II Digital Helmet-Mounted Display for Typhoon fighter pilots. The new helmet is a fully digital system, a notable improvement over the Striker that has been in service.
In April 2023, DuPont announced that they had unveiled a new version of Kevlar, promising lighter, more flexible, and more effective body armor. The new armor, named Kevlar EXO aramid fiber, has had the most significant innovation since the previous years.