Market Trends of Trash Bags Industry
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Trash Bags Market according to our research experts:
Growing Concern Of Sustainablity and Demand for Sustainable Solution.
- To reduce the plastic footprint, governments and related regulatory bodies are imposing bans on plastics, resulting in the countrywide prohibition of plastics that could affect the trash bag market.
- In June 2022, the Government of Canada announced to ban on the manufacturing and import of single-use plastics by the end of 2022 in a significant effort to combat plastic waste and address climate change. The ban includes checkout bags, straws, cutlery, and food service made from or containing plastics that are difficult to recycle, with a few exceptions for medical reasons. The ban is expected to come into effect in December 2022, and the sale of these plastic items will be prohibited by December 2023.
- According to a new analysis by a University of Georgia researcher published in March 2022, these policies may cause more plastic bags to be purchased in their regions. When single-use plastic shopping bags are taxed or banned, people look for alternatives that indicate they buy small plastic trash bags. For instance, the study found out that California communities with bag policies witnessed sales of 8-gallon trash bags increase by 87% to 110%, and sales of 4-gallon trash bags increase by 55% to 75%. Thus, the plastic bags ban can eventually result in increased sales of trash bags in North America overall as well.
- As trash bags are increasing in adoption across end users, such as the residential, commercial, and retail sectors, companies are looking for alternatives to dispose of the waste generated by using bags. The bans on plastic trash bags allow manufacturers to develop biodegradable or recyclable trash bags that enable them to support their business activities, thereby boosting the market growth.
- However, such bans allow the trash bag manufacturers to develop a biodegradable or recyclable trash bag that enables them to support their business activities, thereby boosting the market growth.
North America is Expected to Hold the Largest Market Share
- The increasing initiatives by the government and regulatory bodies to promote the usage of trash bags are one of the significant factors that could boost the adoption of trash bags in the region over the forecast period.
- Increasing demand for easily disposable and eco-friendly garbage bags and awareness regarding environmentally sustainable products is expected to drive market growth. Additionally, growing awareness regarding hygiene and cleanliness among the people is mainly fuelling the demand for such products.
- Moreover, increasing housing facilities across the globe is likely to ease the consumption of trash cans among households and, thereby, trash bags. According to the US Department of Housing and Urban Development, US housing sales value rose up to USD 791,000, a 36.3% rise over the previous month. Additionally, other factors, such as the increasing population and the global urbanization rate, provide long-term demand for the products associated with waste management activities.
- The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) is the public law that creates the framework for properly managing hazardous and non-hazardous solid waste. The law describes the waste management program mandated by Congress. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, plastics have been a rapidly growing part of municipal solid waste (MSW). Plastic is found in all significant MSW categories.
- The United States produces more than 12% of the planet's municipal solid waste (MSW), though it is home to only 4% of the world's population. Apart from this, a large amount of waste is created by industrial processes, mainly from the household products manufacturing industry. Activities like mining, manufacturing, and agriculture create industrial solid waste, which is poorly tracked but may account for up to 97% of America's total waste (source: US PIRG Education Fund).
- The US Environmental Protection Agency regulates household and industrial waste to protect it from the hazards of waste disposal. It also seeks to conserve energy and natural resources, reduce and eliminate waste, and clean up the waste that has been improperly disposed of. This is likely to promote the growth of the trash bag market.
- In July 2021, Maine became the first state in the United States to pass a law that establishes the producer's responsibility for packaging and paper products, shifting responsibility for the costs of recycling away from the taxpayer and the corporations responsible for producing those products.
- Besides this, the uncertain occurrence of the COVID-19 outbreak has skyrocketed the consumer demand for personal hygiene and protection-related products, thereby driving the market growth. However, governmental regulations related to the usage of plastic garbage bags have significantly impacted the development of the market.
- US cities and states are taking strides toward a zero-waste policy. Around 11 states have passed bans on single-use plastic bags, seven have passed prohibitions on expanded polystyrene containers, and more.