Small Wind Turbine Market Size
|Study Period:||2019 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
|CAGR:||> 1.12 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Small Wind Turbine Market Analysis
The Small Wind Turbine market is expected to reach USD 296.2 million by the end of the year and is projected to register a CAGR of over 1.12% during the forecast period.
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. Presently the market has now reached pre-pandemic levels.
- Over the medium term, lower environmental impact due to smaller size and land footprint and lower CAPEX and OPEX requirements are also expected to drive the growth of the market studied.
- On the other hand, competition from alternative distributed generation sources such as rooftop solar photovoltaic (pv) may negatively impact the market’s growth and is one of the major restraints for the market.
- Nevertheless, commercialization of building-integrated wind turbines and development of bladeless wind turbines, are expected to provide growth opportunities in the forecast period.
- The Asia-Pacific region dominates the market and is also likely to witness the highest CAGR during the forecast period. The growth is mainly driven by the existing framework of policies supporting the adoption of small scale wind power developments.
Small Wind Turbine Industry Segmentation
Small wind turbines are low-cost, low-maintenance, and dependable alternative energy generators which can be installed in a short time and requires less space. The market size under the report considers the annual sales of wind turbines below 100 kW (in nominal, or nameplate, capacity) across the globe.
The small wind turbine market is segmented by axis type, application, and geography. By axis type, the market is segmented into Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine and Vertical Axis Wind Turbine. By application, the market is segmented into On-grid and Off-grid. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the small wind turbine market across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done based on revenue (USD million).
|Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine|
|Vertical Axis Wind Turbine|
Small Wind Turbine Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Small Wind Turbine Market according to our research experts:
Lower CAPEX and OPEX Requirements are Expected to Drive the Market
- Though smaller turbines cost less in initial capital outlay, they are proportionally more expensive. Wind energy becomes more economical with growing turbine size and height, and the cost of energy generated/energy is significantly higher in smaller turbines than that of large turbines. The cost of an installed residential wind energy system with an 80-foot tower, batteries, and inverter typically range from USD 15,000-50,000 for a 3-10 kW wind turbine.
- According to the American Wind Energy Association (AWEA), small wind turbines cost between USD 3,000-5,000/kW. Most homeowners using a wind turbine as their primary source of electricity install between 5-15 kW of wind power capacity, which translates to total projects costs between USD 15,000-75,000 for their small wind turbine project.
- In comparison, larger MW-scale turbines cost approximately USD 2.6–4 million for a single average-sized commercial wind turbine, with average costs being nearly USD 1.3 million/MW of electricity-producing capacity.
- Moreover, O&M (operations and maintenance) costs are also significantly higher for large MW-scale turbines due to higher speeds and extreme operating conditions. O&M costs for large-scale wind turbines are nearly USD 0.01-0.02/kWh, equating to almost USD 42,000-48,000 annually.
- For small wind turbines, the cost of maintenance is drastically lower due to the proximity of smaller turbines and the lack of requirement of specialized equipment or crew for carrying out essential maintenance operations. According to the United States Department of Energy, the average scheduled maintenance cost per visit for small wind turbines is about USD 37/kW.
- Moreover, smaller wind turbines are suited to the needs of smaller rural consumers in residential, portable, or off-grid applications. Small-wind turbines are mostly used to power rural or suburban homes, farms, schools, and manufacturing facilities. During 2020, small wind systems were installed in wineries, schools, residences, farms, a tribal government, an animal eye care clinic, and a biodiesel production facility in the United States.
- Therefore, owing to the above points, the lower CAPEX and OPEX requirements are expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific is Expected to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific dominated the wind power generation market in 2022, and it is expected to continue its dominance in the coming years as well. The region holds vast potential for the expansion of the small wind turbine market, notably in the form of off-grid and residential-scale small wind turbines.
- China holds the largest wind power generation capacity globally, with 328.9 GW of installed capacity as of 2021. The country installed 33.38 MW of small wind turbines in 2021, reaching a cumulative installed capacity of 610.61 MW. China experienced a 30% increase in small wind installations from 2020 to 2021. The country first introduced FiT from onshore wind in 2009; it currently offers FiT for small wind turbines ranging from USD 13.4-20.1 ct/kWh.
- Chinese small wind turbine application is shifting from rural electrification oriented to city streets illumination and telecom stand-alone power systems. It is developing rapidly in these new application fields.
- On the other hand, India holds the fourth-largest wind power installed capacity in the world. The country’s wind power installed capacity stood at 38.6 GW. The potential for wind power generation for grid interaction has been estimated at 1,02,788 MW taking sites having wind power density greater than 200 W/sq. m at 80 m hub height with 2% land availability in potential areas for setting up wind farms with 9 MW/sq. km.
- Small wind power capacity in Japan has witnessed significant growth in recent years. As of 2020, the cumulative small wind turbine capacity in Japan was 12.88 MW, up from 8.3 MW in 2017.
- South Korea added 100 MW of new wind energy capacity to the already existing 1,420 MW of wind energy, achieving a total of 1,520 MW in 2020. In 2019, South Korea had a cumulative small wind turbine capacity of 4.08 MW.
- Therefore, owing to the above points, Asia-Pacific is expected to dominate the small wind turbine market during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Small Wind Turbine Industry Overview
The small wind turbine market is moderately fragmented. Some of the major players operating in the market include Northern Power Systems Inc., Bergey Wind Power Co., SD Wind Energy, Aeolos Wind Energy Ltd, and Ryse Energy.
Small Wind Turbine Market Leaders
Bergey Windpower Co.
SD Wind Energy
Aeolos Wind Energy Ltd.
Northern Power Systems Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Small Wind Turbine Market News
- In January 2023, BRAUN Windturbinen GmbH, a Wind turbine manufacturer in Germany, announced the installation of a 7.5 KW of small wind turbines. The system operates 3-phase parallel to the grid with the Smart wind SW7.5 and as a backup heating system with a 6.0 kW heating rod. When 2.5 kW is reached in grid-parallel operation, the heating rod is automatically switched on according to the turbine characteristic curve. The monitoring of the domestic hot water temperature is adjustable and installed at the Small wind turbine.
- In December 2022, Bergey Windpower, an Electric utility company in Norman, the United States, announced its plan to increase access to its 15-kilowatt (kW) wind turbine model. The company announced its plans to develop an innovative financing solution to reduce upfront costs for residential customers in partnership with a major solar financing company.
Small Wind Turbine Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD million, till 2028
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Investment Opportunities
4.6 Market Dynamics
4.7 Supply Chain Analysis
4.8 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.8.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.8.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.8.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.8.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.8.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Axis Type
5.1.1 Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine
5.1.2 Vertical Axis Wind Turbine
5.3.1 North America
220.127.116.11 United States of America
18.104.22.168 Rest of North America
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 South America
184.108.40.206 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
220.127.116.11 Saudi Arabia
18.104.22.168 United Arab Emirates
22.214.171.124 South Africa
126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle East & Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Aeolos Wind Energy Ltd
6.3.2 Bergey Wind Power Co.
6.3.3 City Windmills Holdings PLC
6.3.4 Wind Energy Solutions
6.3.5 SD Wind Energy Limited
6.3.6 UNITRON Energy Systems Pvt. Ltd
6.3.7 Northern Power Systems Inc.
6.3.8 Shanghai Ghrepower Green Energy Co. Ltd
6.3.9 TUGE Energia OU
6.3.10 Ryse Energy
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Small Wind Turbine Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Small Wind Turbine Market is studied from 2019 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Small Wind Turbine Market?
The Small Wind Turbine Market is growing at a CAGR of >1.12% over the next 5 years.
What is Small Wind Turbine Market size in 2019?
The Small Wind Turbine Market is valued at 296 Million USD in 2019.
What is Small Wind Turbine Market size in 2028?
The Small Wind Turbine Market is valued at 313 Million USD in 2028.
Which region has highest growth rate in Small Wind Turbine Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2019 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Small Wind Turbine Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2022.
Who are the key players in Small Wind Turbine Market?
Bergey Windpower Co., SD Wind Energy, Aeolos Wind Energy Ltd., Ryse Energy, Northern Power Systems Inc. are the major companies operating in Small Wind Turbine Market.
Small Wind Turbine Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Small Wind Turbine market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Small Wind Turbine analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.