Market Trends of organic fertilizer Industry
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Organic Fertilizer Market according to our research experts:
Meal Based Fertilizers is the largest Form
- In recent years, organic fertilizers have gained popularity among farmers and growers due to growing concerns about the environmental impact of traditional chemical fertilizers. In 2022, the organic fertilizer segment was dominated by meal-based fertilizers, which accounted for a 43.2% share. Manures were the second most popular organic fertilizer, accounting for 42.5% in the same year.
- Bone meal is primarily used to address the phosphorus requirements of crops, while blood meal is used to supplement nitrogen. Manures are widely used in all types of crops, both in conventional and organic farming, to improve the physio-chemical properties of the soil and support crop growth at various stages.
- On the other hand, oil cakes have limited usage due to their slower rate of mineralization and elevated nutrient levels, which can damage plants if applied excessively. However, oil cake application is still recommended for horticultural crops, as it is slow in action and needs more time for nutrient release compared to chemical fertilizers.
- The other organic fertilizers sub-segment, which includes fish guano, bat guano, fish emulsion, vermicompost, molasses, and other composted fertilizers, accounted for 13.5% of the organic fertilizer segment in 2022. Although these fertilizers are less commonly used, increasing adoption and research to exploit their benefits and government initiatives to promote organic farming may drive their demand in the coming years.
- The adoption of organic fertilizers is growing as farmers and growers seek more sustainable and eco-friendly solutions for crop production. The popularity of meal-based fertilizers and manures and the potential for the other organic fertilizers sub-segment may drive the organic fertilizer segment during the forecast period.
Europe is the largest Region
- Organic fertilizers are becoming increasingly popular in both conventional and organic farming worldwide as farmers strive to reduce their dependence on chemical fertilizers. Europe and Asia-Pacific are the leading consumers of organic fertilizers, with Europe seeing a significant increase in its market share by value from 2017 to 2022, while the Asia-Pacific region is projected to experience substantial growth in the organic fertilizer market during the forecast period.
- The European Consortium of the Organic-based Fertilizer Industry (ECOFI) promotes the use of organic fertilizers in Europe. The region's farmers are shifting toward organic alternatives, contributing to the growth of the organic fertilizer market. In the Asia-Pacific region, China and India are emerging as leaders in organic crop production, with organic farming accounting for a small portion of their total agricultural area. However, the organic farming area in the region is growing, and this trend is expected to drive growth in the organic fertilizer market.
- In North America, the United States dominates the organic fertilizer market, accounting for a 40.7% share by value in 2022. The Organic Transition Initiative implemented by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) is playing a significant role in promoting the expansion of organic farming in the country. As a result, the organic cultivation area accounted for 39.6% of the total crop cultivation area in 2022.
- The increasing global organic crop area and various government initiatives to promote organic agriculture and sustainable agricultural practices are driving the demand for organic commodities worldwide. Consumer awareness about the harmful effects of chemical fertilizers also contributes to the growing demand for organic fertilizers globally.