Chlorine Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|CAGR||> 3.50 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Chlorine Market Analysis
The chlorine market is estimated to register a CAGR of over 3.5% during the forecast period.
During the COVID-19 outbreak, nationwide lockdowns around the globe, disruption in manufacturing activities and supply chains, production halts, and labor unavailability negatively impacted the dyes and pigment market. However, in 2021 the conditions started recovering, which will likely restore the market's growth trajectory during the forecast period.
- Over the medium term, the rising demand from the pharmaceutical and agrochemical industries and the increasing demand for PVC from the construction industry are the major driving factors augmenting the growth of the market studied.
- However, stringent government regulations on the use of chlorine are expected to hinder the market's growth.
- Increasing demand from the wastewater industry may create opportunities in the industry.
- Asia-Pacific dominates the market across the world, with the largest consumption from China and India.
Chlorine Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Chlorine Market according to our research experts:
Increasing Demand for PVC
- Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) is widely used in construction, building, and infrastructure. Construction and utility parts in buildings are often partly or completely polymeric. This can be implemented as roofing materials, wall panels, seals, piping systems, coatings, and many other products.
- There are two types of PVC, namely, rigid resins and flexible resins. Rigid resins provide most of the growth opportunities, with major end uses being fittings, pipe and fittings, windows, fencing, roof tiles, and automobile parts. Flexible PVC finds outlets in film and sheets, flooring, wire and cable coating, synthetic leather products, and shower curtains. EDC is used as a solvent in the metal cleaning, textile, and adhesives industries.
- A large amount of chlorine is required as a raw material in the manufacturing process of EDC and PVC. According to Euro Chlor, in June 2022, European chlorine production stood at 682,760 tons. The average daily production in June 2022 was 22,759 tons, which was 5.7% lower than in the previous month and 15.3% lower than in June 2021.
- Large investments in sectors, such as irrigation, water and sanitation management, building and construction, transport, power, retail, etc., continue to be made. PVC plays an important role in the sustainable management of these sectors through various products, like wires and cables, pipes, wood PVC composites, and waterproofing membranes.
- In March 2021, China disclosed its five-year wastewater roadmap that targets the development of 20 million m3/d of additional wastewater treatment capacity. China has also raised the proportion of sewage water that must be treated to comply with reusable standards to 25% over the next seven years.
- Also, the growing trend of 'green construction' across the world is encouraging the usage of PVC in the construction sector more than ever. Thus, with the increase in construction activities, the usage of PVC is expected to increase during the forecast period.
- The rising demand for polyvinyl chloride is expected to boost the demand for chlorine. This, in turn, shall benefit the market for chlorine during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
The Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region dominates the global market share. With the growing urbanization and the increasing need for fresh water in countries such as China and India, the usage of chlorine is increasing in the region.
- With 2.4% land and 4% water resources, India supports nearly 18% of the world's population. Lately, the dwindling quality of agricultural products has raised serious questions on the sustainability of the agricultural practice. To counter the problem, efforts have been made to improve the land's productivity and increase the efficiency of the supply chain (while reducing the carbon footprint) by implementing PVC pipes in field irrigation systems.
- Moreover, chlorine is majorly used for water treatment. The process of adding chlorine or chlorine compounds to water, such as sodium hypochlorite, is known as water chlorination. In order to kill bacteria, viruses, and other microbes in water, this method is used. Chlorination is particularly useful in preventing the spread of waterborne diseases like cholera, dysentery, and typhoid.
- In July 2022, the Director General of the Phnom Penh Water Supply Authority, Long Naro, announced that the construction of the 1st phase of the Bak Kheng water treatment plant has reached 66% completion and is likely to finish by 2023. This plant will have the capacity for treating 390,000 cubic meters of water each day.
- The packaging industry in India is one of the fastest-growing industries, with direct or indirect influence on all industries. The spending on packaged foods is increasing due to urbanization, increase in per capita income, and the growing number of workforces.
- According to the Packaging Industry Association of India (PIAI), the packaging consumption in India has increased by 200% in the past decade, rising from 4.3 kg per person per annum (pppa) to 8.6 kg pppa. This clearly indicates that the market is underpenetrated and offers a great business opportunity for the Indian plastics industry.
- Overall, the market for chlorine is projected to witness healthy growth in the country over the forecast period, even though the market remained affected in 2020 due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Chlorine Industry Overview
The chlorine market is partially fragmented and dominated by very few players. These major players include Olin Corporation, Occidental Petroleum Corporation, Covestro AG, Formosa Plastic Corporation, and Nouryon, among others.
Chlorine Market Leaders
Occidental Petroleum Corporation
Formosa Plastic Corporation
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Chlorine Market News
- January 2023: Covestro AG and LANXESS developed a joint venture to produce more sustainable raw materials by reducing CO2 emissions by up to 120,000 tons per year. Under this joint venture, LANXESS will source chlorine, caustic soda, and hydrogen from the ISCC PLUS-certified sites of Covestro in Leverkusen and Krefeld-Uerdingen.
- August 2022: Occidental Petroleum Corporation proposed USD 1.1 billion for the chemical upgrade and expansion of the technology of its chlor-alkali production unit. The construction of this project will start in 2023 and will continue to produce chlorine and caustic soda.
Chlorine Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Demand from the Pharmaceutical and Agrochemical Industries
4.1.2 Increasing Demand for PVC from Various Sectors
4.2.1 Stringent Government Regulations
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Technological Snapshot
4.6 Import and Export Trends
4.7 Price Trends
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume and Value)
5.1.2 Isocyanates and Oxygenates
5.1.4 Solvents and Epichlorohydrin
5.1.5 Inorganic Chemicals
5.1.6 Other Applications
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.1 Water Treatment
5.2.4 Paper and Pulp
5.2.7 Other End-user Industries
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
184.108.40.206 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
220.127.116.11 Saudi Arabia
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share(%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 ANWIL SA (PKN ORLEN SA)
6.4.2 Covestro AG
6.4.3 Ercros SA
6.4.4 Formosa Plastics Corporation
6.4.5 Hanwha Solutions/Chemical Corporation
6.4.7 Kem One
6.4.9 Occidental Petroleum Corporation
6.4.10 Olin Corporation
6.4.12 Tata Chemicals Limited
6.4.13 Tosoh USA, Inc.
6.4.14 Westlake Vinnolit GmbH & Co KG
6.4.15 Vynova Group
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Increasing Demand from the Wastewater Industry
Chlorine Market Research FAQs
What is the current Chlorine Market size?
The Chlorine Market is projected to register a CAGR of greater than 3.5% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Who are the key players in Chlorine Market?
Olin Corporation, Occidental Petroleum Corporation, Covestro AG, Formosa Plastic Corporation and Nouryon are the major companies operating in the Chlorine Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Chlorine Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Chlorine Market?
In 2023, the Asia Pacific accounts for the largest market share in the Chlorine Market.
Chlorine Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Chlorine market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Chlorine analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.