Unlike the traditional Li-Ion batteries, which use active materials like manganese-oxide and cobalt-oxide, the Nanobatteries are fabricated by employing Nano-scale technology, in order to reach higher conductivity by reducing the size. Nanotechnology can address many shortcomings of the present day battery technologies like recharging time and battery memory.
The problem with traditional Li-Ion batteries is that the liquid electrolyte is unstable in the presence of metallic lithium and when charged too quickly it causes problems. So, it is very important to follow the slow charge rate rule. The nanobatteries have longer battery lives and wider operating temperatures and hold a great potential in the coming years. Increasing the power and shelf life of batteries, lowering the recharge time and possibility of batteries catching fire are few of the advantages they hold.
Electronic giants like Toshiba and Sony have already entered into the market. A123 Systems, which owns the patent on nano-phosphate technology, developed a battery, which has four times the conductivity of traditional Li-Ion batteries that can recharge in five minutes and has widest temperature range. MPhase Technologies, Valence Technology Inc, ZPower, Altair Nano, U.S Photonics, Next Alternative Inc. are few other companies that are into developing nanobatteries.
Researchers at North Carolina State University demonstrated the use of Silicon coated carbon nanotubes in anodes, which can increase the capacity of a battery by ten times. Researchers at Los Alamos National Laboratory, Rice University, Stanford and MIT are developing nanobattery technologies that can store energy up to ten times, that can recharge within ten minutes and that can have up to ten times the battery power.
The next step the companies looking for, beyond Lithium-Ion batteries is Lithium-Sulfur batteries, where the cathode is made up of Sulfur. Researchers at Standord, LMU Munic and Waterloo University are into developing batteries with Sulfur inside the nanopores.
Fast charging and high power are very appealing qualities, and this technology holds great potential and wide acceptability. Developments in nanotechnology would revolutionize electronics and electrically-powered devices, even making an electric car a viable product.
The study, besides estimating the nanobatteries market potential between 2016 and 2021, analyzes on who can be the market leaders and what partnerships would help them to capture the market share. The report gives an overview of the dynamics of the market, by discussing various aspects such as drivers, restraints, Porter’s five forces, value-chain, customer acceptance and investment scenario.
The study in brief deals with the product life cycle, comparing it to the relevant products from across industries that had already been commercialized. It approximates the time for innovation, in order for the industry to maintain a stable growth over a sustained period. The report also details the potential for various applications, discussing the recent product innovations and gives an overview on potential regional market shares.
Key Deliverables in the Study
- Market analysis for the nanobatteries, with region-specific assessments and competition analysis on a global and regional scale.
- Market definition along with the identification of key drivers and restraints.
- Identification of factors instrumental in changing the market scenario, rising prospective opportunities, and identification of key companies that can influence this market on a global and regional scale.
- Extensively researched competitive landscape section with profiles of major companies along with their market share.
- Identification and analysis of the macro and micro factors that affect the nanobatteries on both global and regional scale.
- A comprehensive list of key market players along with the analysis of their current strategic interests and key financial information.
- A wide-ranging knowledge and insights about the major players in this industry and the key strategies adopted by them to sustain and grow in the studied market.
- Insights into the major countries/regions where this industry is growing and also identify the regions that are still untapped.
1.3 Study Deliverables
1.4 Scope of the Study
1.5 Research Methodology
2. Executive Summary
3. Market Overview
3.1 Current Market Scenario
3.2 Market Drivers
3.3 Market Restraints
3.4 Market Trends
3.5 Recent Innovations and Product Developments
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.1.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.1.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.1.3 Degree of Competition
4.1.4 Threat of Substitution
4.1.5 Threat of New Entrants
4.2 Product Life Cycle Analysis
4.3 Value-Chain Analysis
4.4 Customer Acceptance/Adaptability
4.5 Comparative Analysis
4.6 Investment Scenario
5. Market Potential - Size, Forecast, Trends & Opportunities
5.1 Market Definition
5.2 Market Size Forecast
5.3 Regional Market Analysis
6. Competitive Landscape
6.1 Current Market Landscape
6.2 Potential Entrants
6.3 Market Share Estimation