Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Hong Kong e-commerce market is anticipated to register a CAGR of 8.7% over the forecast period from 2022 to 2027.
- E-commerce in the country is experiencing significant growth due to an increase in the adoption of digitalization by retailers in the region. Also, internet penetration in the region has increased as the advancement in information communication technologies has fueled the adoption of broadband services in households and businesses.
- However, the region is characterized by an aversion toward online shopping compared to Mainland China. The high density of population in the region is expected to create new opportunities as the region experiences a transition toward online shopping.
- The E-commerce uptake is increasing with the rising smartphone use and younger generations involved in online shopping via social media channels. Mobile e-commerce is enhanced with 5G networks available in the country, increasing on-the-go internet speeds and facilitating more mobile e-commerce.
- Further, the country has a robust and efficient logistical system and is a regional logistical center of Asia. The robust logistical system eased the adoption of e-commerce by retailers in the country.
- The advent of COVID-19 has raised severe challenges in terms of logistics and transportation of goods due to stringent lockdowns in the region. However, the pandemic also created a need for the adoption of e-commerce and fueled the growth in the region.
Scope of the Report
Conducting an e-commerce business means fostering relationships and selling information, services, and goods over computer communication networks. E-commerce usually refers to trading goods and services over the internet, which means broader economic activity. E-commerce consists of B2B and B2C and internal organizational transactions that support these activities.
The study also tracks the key market parameters, underlying growth influencers, and major vendors operating in the industry, which supports the market estimations and growth rates over the forecast period in Hong Kong. The study further analyzes the overall impact of COVID-19 on the ecosystem. The scope of the report encompasses market sizing and forecast for segmentation by B2B and B2C, in which the B2C channel is further segmented by application.
|By B2C ecommerce|
|Market size (GMV) for the period of 2017-2027|
|By B2B ecommerce|
|Market size for the period of 2017-2027|
Key Market Trends
Increase in Internet Penetration Across the Country is Fueling the Growth of the Market
- With the increase in internet adoption across the country, the penetration of online retailing is growing. According to the world bank, internet users in Hong Kong accounted for 92.4%, 91.7%, and 90.5% of the country's population for 2020, 2019, and 2018, respectively.
- According to a survey conducted by the Government of Hong Kong in 2020, over 2.01 million households in had PCs, representing 75.3% of all households in the country, and 100% of those households had an internet connection for their PCs.
- Businesses in the country are adopting the online-to-offline model (O2O) to meet the demand for goods in the online marketplace. According to Shopline, an e-commerce solutions and customized services company, more than 50% of its e-commerce Hong Kong retailers have physical stores.
- With such a rise in the adoption of e-commerce, the region is witnessing significant growth, and it is expected that traditional brick-and-mortar retailers are willing to adopt the online-to-offline model as this can benefit them by selling products 24/7.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Fashion Segment Accounts for Significant Share
- In recent times fashion retail has become very competitive, as major brands in the business are boosting e-commerce operations in order to develop online shopping in the country. Further, online shopping enables retailers to adopt technologies such as Big data analysis, which allows the company to grasp the fashion market with information and analysis of the user trends.
- Also, advancements in technology and an increase in the efficiency of logistics have enabled logistical companies to provide services at a lower price. As most of the orders in e-commerce are made up of small batches, the cost of logistics used to be very high. Several apparel companies operating in the region have focussed on achieving higher logistic support in order to gain customer satisfaction with deliveries.
- In recent times logistical companies charge very less for small batches than in fashion e-commerce orders and also offer services such as collection, inspection, and repackaging of returned goods which enables the customers an added advantage to make fashion purchases online.
- The increase in internet adoption has enhanced the social media landscape in the country. Social media such as Facebook, Instagram, and other platforms are not only used for connectivity but to keep up with the latest fashion trends and to research the products to purchase.
- With a high user penetration rate for Facebook, Instagram, and other platforms, many fashion companies in the country have increased focus on brand advertising and user engagement through social media as reviews play an important role in e-commerce, with a significant portion of consumers reading online reviews of products prior to purchase.
In Hong Kong, the competition in the e-commerce market has increased as the customer's adoption of online sales channels has grown. This growth is aided by an increase in internet penetration. The level of rivalry in the Hong Kong e-commerce market is medium due to the presence of a few significant market players. The number of local and global brands in the e-commerce market is increasing, which increases the competition in the market.
- May 2022 - DFI Retail Group, an Asian retail company, launched yuu to me, the new one-stop platform on the all-inclusive app. This app enables users to shop for over 30,000 products from many brands in Hong Kong.
- March 2022 - Kicks Crew, a Los Angeles and Hong Kong-based sneaker and apparel platform, raised USD 6 million in Series A funding led by Gobi Partners, Pacific Century Group, and Complex China.
- May 2022 - YesAsia, a global online retailer, announced a partnership with Geek+, an autonomous robots company, to build YesAsia's first smart warehouse at Goodman Interlink, located in Tsing Yi, Hong Kong.
- April 2022 - Beauty retailer Sa Sa International partnered with Foodpanda to provide on-demand delivery services in Hong Kong. This service was initially started as a pilot project with 20 stores offering approximately 700 products on Foodpanda Mall.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definitions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness-Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Key market trends and share of e-commerce of total Retail sector
4.4 Impact of COVID-19 on the e-commerce sales
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increase in adoption of digitalization
5.1.2 Adoption of Omnichannel Innovative Solutions
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Trust and consistency of goods
5.3 Analysis of key demographic trends and patterns related to ecommerce industry in Hong Kong (Coverage to include Population, Internet Penetration, ecommerce Penetration, Age & Income etc.)
5.4 Analysis of the key modes of transaction in the ecommerce industry in Hing Kong (coverage to include prevalent modes of payment such as cash, card, bank transfer, wallets, etc.)
5.5 Analysis of cross-border ecommerce industry in Hong Kong (Current market value of cross-border & key trends)
5.6 Current positioning of Hong Kong in the ecommerce industry in Asia
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By B2C ecommerce
6.1.1 Market size (GMV) for the period of 2017-2027
6.1.2 Market Segmentation - by Application
126.96.36.199 Beauty and Personal Care
188.8.131.52 Consumer Electronics
184.108.40.206 Fashion and Apparel
220.127.116.11 Food and Beverage
18.104.22.168 Furniture and Home
22.214.171.124 Others (Toys, DIY, Media, etc.)
6.2 By B2B ecommerce
6.2.1 Market size for the period of 2017-2027
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 WeChat Pay Hong Kong Limited
7.1.2 Price Guide Sdn Bhd
7.1.3 Hong Kong TV Shopping Network Limited
7.1.4 PARKnSHOP (HK) Limited
7.1.5 Amazon.com Inc.
7.1.6 Alibaba Group
7.1.7 eBay Inc.
7.1.8 JD.com Inc.
7.1.9 MUJI (Hong Kong) Co. Ltd
7.1.10 Carousell Group
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Hong Kong E-commerce Market market is studied from 2020 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Hong Kong E-commerce Market?
The Hong Kong E-commerce Market is growing at a CAGR of >8.7% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Hong Kong E-commerce Market?
Hong Kong TV Shopping Network Limited, WeChat Pay Hong Kong Limited, JD.com, Inc., Amazon.com, Inc, Alibaba Group Holding Limited are the major companies operating in Hong Kong E-commerce Market.