|Fastest Growing Market:||North America|
|Largest Market:||North America|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The drilling and completion fluids market is expected to register a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period, 2022-2027. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the oil and gas industry witnessed a significant decline in demand due to the various lockdowns and restrictions, which resulted in decreased demand for drilling and completion fluids. Additionally, the COVID-19 outbreak in Q1 of 2020 resulted in the delay of significant drilling projects worldwide. For Instance, in April 2020, Beach Energy announced a termination notice to Diamond Offshore for its year-long offshore drilling program in the Otway basin in Southern Australia with the semi-submersible Ocean Onyx, citing the logistical difficulties caused by the COVID-19 pandemic services. Factors such as an increase in drilling operations in Europe, North America, and the Middle East are expected to drive the demand for the drilling and completion fluids market. Additionally, the development of shale and deep-water and ultra-deepwater fields is expected to drive the drilling and completion fluids market. However, the volatile oil prices over the recent period, owing to the supply-demand gap, geopolitics, and several other factors, are restraining the market’s growth.
- The onshore segment accounted for the maximum market share in 2020. Onshore drilling encompasses all the drilling sites located on dry land and accounts for 70% of the global oil production.
- With wells being drilled farther away from land and into the sea, primarily drilled deeper than before, there is an increasing demand for drilling and completion fluids during the upcoming years.
- North America is the largest market for drilling and completion fluids, accounting for over 40% of the market share. Moreover, it is expected to be the fastest-growing market over the forecast period, mainly due to the development of shale plays.
Scope of the Report
The drilling and completion fluids market report includes:
|Other Fluid Types|
|High Pressure High Temperature (HPHT)|
|Middle East & Africa|
Key Market Trends
Onshore Segment to Dominate the Market
- Onshore drilling encompasses all the drilling sites located on dry land and accounts for 70% of the global oil production. Onshore drilling is similar to offshore drilling but without deep water between the platform and the oil.
- The demand for oil and gas has constantly been increasing, and this increased drilling activities around the world to discover new fields. This, in turn, increased the demand for drilling and completion fluids worldwide.
- Oil consumption worldwide reached 88,696 thousand barrels daily in 2020, up from 86,568 thousand barrels daily in 2010. Thus with an increase in oil demand, new oil wells are expected to be drilled in the coming years, resulting in an increased demand for drilling and completion fluids worldwide.
- Currently, the wells are being drilled deeper, and they are more complex than before. This is expected to drive the drilling and completion fluids market’s growth.
- In 2021, Saipem was awarded new onshore drilling contracts in the Middle East and South America. The new contracts are worth a total of USD 70 million. Further, in May 2021, the company had onshore drilling contracts of USD 250 million with Saudi Arabia.
- Hence, new investment in the onshore oil and gas industry, increasing exploration of unconventional resources, and the crude oil price stability are expected to increase the demand for drilling and completion fluids worldwide.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America to Dominate the Market
- North America is expected to dominate the drilling and completion fluids market, and it is expected to witness significant growth over the forecast period.
- In North America, offshore oil and gas projects are becoming more competitive, owing to improving efficiencies and tightening the supply chain, which led to declining offshore drilling costs.
- In terms of policy and government support, the US federal government launched an auction of more than 80.9 m acres to be leased by the US government for oil and gas production in 2021.
- Furthermore, the recent development of shale plays, horizontal drilling, and fracking resulted in a massive increase in the country's demand for drilling and completion fluids. For Instance, in 2020, extensions and discoveries of 92 million barrels of new proved crude oil reserves were reported, mostly from operators drilling horizontal wells in the Uinta Basin, Colorado, United States.
- Therefore, factors such as rising offshore oil and gas investments and shale development in the region are expected to drive the drilling and completion fluids market's growth over the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The drilling and completion fluids market is moderately fragmented, with numerous small and big companies operating in the market. The key players in this market include Schlumberger Limited, Baker Hughes Company, Halliburton Company, CES Energy Solutions Corp., Tetra Technologies, and Scomi Energy Services BHD.
- In November 2021, Danish offshore drilling contractor Maersk Drilling announced that it had entered a definitive agreement to merge with its US rival Noble Corporation in a primarily all-stock transaction, which will result in the creation of a combined company with a fleet of 20 floaters and 19 jack-up rigs.
- In October 2021, CWC Energy Services Corp. announced that its wholly-owned subsidiary, CWC Energy Services (USA) Corp., entered a definitive agreement to acquire 10 active high-spec triple drilling rigs and all related and ancillary equipment and inventory from a privately held contract drilling company based in Casper, Wyoming, United States.
Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2027
4.3 Onshore and Offshore Active Rig Count, till 2021
4.4 Historic and Demand Forecast of Upstream CAPEX in USD billion, by Onshore and Offshore, 2022-2027
4.5 Historic and Demand Forecast of Offshore CAPEX in USD billion, by Water Depth, 2022-2027
4.6 Historic and Demand Forecast of Offshore CAPEX in USD billion, by Region, 2022-2027
4.7 Major Upcoming Upstream Projects
4.8 Recent Trends and Developments
4.9 Market Dynamics
4.10 Supply Chain Analysis
4.11 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.11.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.11.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.11.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.11.4 Threat of Substitutes Products and Services
4.11.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.2 Fluid Type
5.2.3 Other Fluid Types
5.3 Well Type
5.3.2 High Pressure High Temperature (HPHT)
5.4.1 North America
5.4.4 South America
5.4.5 Middle East & Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Baker Hughes Company
6.3.2 CES Energy Solutions Corp.
6.3.3 Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LLC
6.3.4 Halliburton Company
6.3.5 Newpark Resources Inc.
6.3.6 Schlumberger Limited
6.3.7 Tetra Technologies Inc.
6.3.8 Weatherford International PLC
6.3.9 National Oilwell Varco Inc.
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Drilling and Completion Fluids Market market is studied from 2019 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Drilling and Completion Fluids Market?
The Drilling and Completion Fluids Market is growing at a CAGR of >5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Drilling and Completion Fluids Market?
North America is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Drilling and Completion Fluids Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Drilling and Completion Fluids Market?
Schlumberger Limited , Halliburton Company , CES Energy Solutions Corp , Newpark Resources Inc., Weatherford International Plc are the major companies operating in Drilling and Completion Fluids Market.