Europe Market for Chemicals in Cosmetics and Toiletries
Europe constitutes the largest market for cosmetics and cosmetic chemicals and in 2015 accounted for a CAGR of 3.9%. The five largest national markets Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Italy and Spain account for more than 70% of the market for cosmetics in Europe. This was due to the strong economic recovery in many EU countries, a faster pace of life and an aging population. Skin care and hair care chemicals constitute the two largest categories and in 2015 accounted for 50% of the total market. The key trends are the rising shift towards natural ingredients, male grooming, higher-priced & value-added products, increasing penetration of private labels and development of a handful of key brands by leading companies.
A cosmetic product generally lists a variety of further ingredients besides the general lipid base for skin caring purposes and the lipid and water soluble active agents. The ingredients may be categorized under the term "special additives" and have various functions, they are perfumes, antioxidants, conditioning agents, alcohols, water (aqua), preservatives, thickeners and colorants. The active ingredient is a cosmetic, drug, or pharmaceutical ingredient that must adhere to specific regulations. Active ingredients are considered to have a pharmacological altering effect on the skin and these effects and the amount of each active ingredient is controlled and must be documented by scientific evaluation and approved. Active ingredients include substances such as sunscreen ingredients, skin-lightening agents, benzoyl peroxide, and various plant extracts, oil, waxes, vitamins and proteins.
Market Dynamics of the European Market for Chemicals in Cosmetics and Toiletries:
- Growing market for cosmetics and toiletries in the developing countries
- Rising standards and awareness about personal hygiene and grooming
- Innovative products that are being introduced in the market
- Strict norms regarding the ingredients that used in manufacturing
- Rising trend of using more organic and natural ingredients
The concern about pollution and biodegradability of the products is a growing trend both from government agencies and buyers. In water bodies, non-degradable chemical concentration is bio magnified at each tropic level. Plastic micro beads which act as scrubbing and exfoliating agents have been accused of causing harm to life in water bodies and are under pressure for being phased out. The high growth rate of the natural ingredient based personal care segment also points to this trend.
The European chemicals in cosmetics and toiletries market can be segmented based on chemical type (active ingredients, processing aids, specialty additives and other ingredients), on end product industry (chemicals in skin care products, chemicals in hair care products, chemicals in bath and shower products, chemicals in hair care products, in oral hygiene products, in personal hygiene products, in fragrance products and baby care products) and on geography (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America). The key players in this market are:
- Reckitt Benckiser
- The Procter & Gamble Company.
Key Deliverables in the Study:
- Analysis for the European chemicals in cosmetics and toiletries market, with region specific assessments and competition analysis.
- Market definition along with the identification of key drivers and restraints.
- Identification of factors instrumental in changing the market scenario, rising prospective opportunities, and identification of key companies that can influence this market on a regional scale.
- Extensively researched competitive landscape section with profiles of major companies along with their market share.
- Identification and analysis of the macro and micro factors that affect the European chemicals in cosmetics and toiletries market on a regional scale.
- A comprehensive list of key market players along with the analysis of their current strategic interests and key financial information.
- A wide-ranging knowledge and insights about the major players in this industry and the key strategies adopted by them to sustain and grow in the studied market.
- Insights on the major countries/regions where this industry is blooming and to also identify the regions that are still untapped.
1.2 Research Methodology
1.3 Report Outline
2. Executive Summary
3. Market Overview
3.1 Current Market Scenario
3.2 Factors Driving the Cosmetic Chemicals Market
3.3 Factors Restraining the Cosmetic Chemicals Market
3.4 Opportunities for the Cosmetic Chemicals Market
3.5 Porter’s Five Forces
3.5.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.5.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
3.5.3 Threat of New Entrants
3.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
3.5.5 Degree of Competition
3.6 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4. Market Segmentation
4.1 By Chemical Type (Market size, Forecast and CAGR)
4.1.1 Processing Aids
4.1.2 Specialty additives
4.1.3 Active ingredients
4.1.4 Other Ingredients
4.2 By End Product Industry
4.2.1 Chemicals in Skin Care Products (Market size, Forecast and CAGR)
220.127.116.11 Body and Dusting Powders
18.104.22.168 Foot Powders and Sprays
22.214.171.124 Sunscreen and Suntan Products
126.96.36.199 Other Skincare Products
4.2.2 Chemicals in Hair Care Products (Market size, Forecast and CAGR)
188.8.131.52 Shampoos and Rinses
184.108.40.206 Hair Conditioners
220.127.116.11 Hair Sprays
18.104.22.168 Hair Straighteners and Relaxers
22.214.171.124 Hair Dyes and Colors
126.96.36.199 Hair Bleachers
188.8.131.52 Tonics and Dressings
184.108.40.206 Hair Tints and Rinses
220.127.116.11 Other Hair Care Products
4.2.3 Chemicals in Bath and Shower Products (Market size, Forecast and CAGR)
18.104.22.168 Bath Oils Tablets and Salts
22.214.171.124 Bath Capsules
126.96.36.199 Bubble Baths
4.2.4 Chemicals in Fragrance Products (Market size, Forecast and CAGR)
188.8.131.52 Colognes, Perfumes, Sprays and Mists
4.2.5 Chemicals in Makeup Products
184.108.40.206 Facial Makeup Products
220.127.116.11 Eye Makeup Products
4.2.6 Chemicals in Nail Care Products (Market size, Forecast and CAGR)
18.104.22.168 Cuticle Oils, Creams and Lotions
22.214.171.124 Nail Polishes
126.96.36.199 Manicure and Pedicure Products
188.8.131.52 Artificial Nails
4.2.7 Chemicals in Oral-Hygiene Products (Market size, Forecast and CAGR)
184.108.40.206 Toothpastes and Mouthwashes
4.2.8 Chemicals in Personal Hygiene Products (Market size, Forecast and CAGR)
220.127.116.11 Hand washes
4.2.9 Chemicals in Shaving Products (Market size, Forecast and CAGR)
18.104.22.168 Shaving Soaps
22.214.171.124 Shaving Creams
126.96.36.199 Pre Shave Lotions
188.8.131.52 Aftershave Lotions
4.2.10 Chemicals in Baby Care Products (Market size, Forecast and CAGR)
184.108.40.206 Baby Shampoos
220.127.116.11 Baby Soaps
18.104.22.168 Baby Lotions, Oils, Powders and Creams
5. Regional Market Analysis- (Market size, Forecast, and CAGR)
5.2 Market Opportunities
5.3 Major Countries
5.3.3 United Kingdom
5.3.6 Rest of Europe
6. Policies and Regulations
7. Competitor Analysis
7.1 Market Shares of Leading Global Players
7.2 Strategic Issues
7.3 Future Outlook
8. Company Profiles (End Product Manufacturers)
8.1 The Procter & Gamble Company
8.4 Johnson & Johnson
8.5 Botica Comercial Farmaceutica Ltda
8.6 Avon Products, Inc
8.7 Henkel KGAA
8.9 Reckitt Benckiser
8.10 Estée Lauder
8.16 Limited Brands
8.17 Natura Cosméticos
8.18 Mary Kay
8.19 Group Yves Rocher
8.20 Kanebo Cosmetics
8.21 Revlon Cosmetics
The List is not Exhaustive
9. Company Profiles (Ingredient Manufacturers)
9.2 DOW Chemical Co.
9.4 Honeywell International
9.5 Akzo Nobel Surface Chemistry
9.6 Clariant International
9.8 Ajinomoto Co. Inc.
9.9 Biochemica International
9.10 Schülke & Mayr GmbH
9.11 Wacker Chemie AG
9.13 International Flavors and Fragrances Inc.
9.14 Hubei Xiangxi Chemical Industry Co.,Ltd
9.15 International Specialty Products.
List is not Exhaustive