The market is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 9.9% in the forecasted period 2017-2022 and the market is estimated to reach a market value of USD 80.88 million by 2022. Increasing population and increasing demand for food grains is increasing the demand for the world commercial seed market.
The increasing global population is escalating the demand for food. The world commercial seed market is growing at a faster pace due to its higher performance in terms of yield and output in the time of shrinking arable land globally. In addition, rising demand for biofuels is exerting pressure on agriculture to increase production of crops such as corn, which is a key ingredient in ethanol production. While the demand for commercial seed will continue, due to high demand in developing regions and technological advancements, the regulatory and safety concerns over GM crops and high R&D cost may hinder market growth.
The global commercial seed market is broadly classified into conventional crops and biotechnology/GM crops, which are then further segmented into various crop types. Conventional crop seeds like cereal, grains, and oilseeds account for 52% of the market, while the market growth would be higher in the case of GM crops at a CAGR of 10.2%. Major GM crops identified here are soybean, corn, cotton, and canola. Soybean is the largest cultivated GM crop while the growth prospect of GM maize is high.
Accounting for around 30% share, North America is the largest regional market for commercial seed production globally. Owing to a high degree of regulatory interventions, the growth of European commercial seed market would remain moderate. The Asia-Pacific and South American regions would grow at comparatively higher pace with the positive growth prospects from countries like China, India, and Brazil.
Key Industry Players
Major industry players active in the commercial seed market globally are:
- Monsanto Company
- Syngenta AG
- Dow AgroSciences LLC
- Land O’Lakes Inc.
- Bayer CropScience.
The market is fairly concentrated among five major players and the companies follow mergers and acquisitions to expand their business and operations.
Key Deliverables in the Study
- Market analysis for the global commercial seed market, with region specific assessments and competition analysis on global and regional scales.
- Market definition along with the identification of key drivers and restraints.
- Identification of factors instrumental in changing the market scenarios, rising prospective opportunities, and identification of key companies that can influence this market on a global and regional scale.
- Extensively researched competitive landscape section with profiles of major companies along with their market shares.
- Identification and analysis of the macro and micro factors that affect the global commercial seed market on both global and regional scales.
- A comprehensive list of key market players along with the analysis of their current strategic interests and key financial information.
- A wide-ranging knowledge and insights on the major players in this industry and the key strategies adopted by them to sustain and grow in the studied market.
- Insights on the major countries/regions in which this industry is growing and identifying the regions which are still untapped.
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
2. Research Approach & Methodology
2.2 Research Designs
2.3 Study Timelines
2.4 Study Phases
2.4.1 Secondary Research
2.4.2 Discussion Guide
2.4.3 Market Engineering and Econometric Modelling
2.4.4 Expert Validation
3. Key Findings of the Study
4. Market Overview
4.1 Market Dynamics
18.104.22.168 Growing Food Demand
22.214.171.124 Shrinking Farm Land
126.96.36.199 Increasing Use of Biofuels
188.8.131.52 Increasing Demand for Animal Feed
184.108.40.206 Safety and Regulatory Issues with GM Crops
220.127.116.11 Cost and Time Incurring R&D Process
18.104.22.168 Developing Regions Witnessing Faster Demand
22.214.171.124 Technology and Product Improvements
4.1.4 Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
126.96.36.199 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
188.8.131.52 Bargaining Power of Buyers
184.108.40.206 Threat of New Entrants
220.127.116.11 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
18.104.22.168 Degree of Competition
5. Market Segmentation
5.1 By Type
5.1.1 Conventional Seeds
22.214.171.124 Cereals & Grains
126.96.36.199.1 Maize (Corn)
188.8.131.52 Fruits & Vegetables
5.1.2 Biotechnology Seeds
5.2 By Geography
5.2.1 North America
5.2.4 South America
184.108.40.206 South Africa
6. Competitive Landscape
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Most Active Companies
6.3 Market Share Analysis
7. Company Profiles
7.4 Dow Agro Sciences
7.5 Bayer Crop Science AG
7.6 Land O’lakes, Inc.
7.7 KWS Saat AG
7.8 DLF-Trifolium A/S
7.9 Vilmorin & Cie SA
7.11 Sakata Seed Corporation
7.12 Groupelimagrain Holding SA
7.13 Takii (Japan)