|Fastest Growing Market:||North America|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The carbon black market was valued at 13,000 kiloton in 2021, and it is projected to register a CAGR of more than 2% during the forecast period (2022-2027).
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak in the first half of 2020, the tire and rubber industry was significantly affected. The market is projected to grow steadily as automotive production observed growth in 2021.
- In the short term, the major factors driving the market are growing applications in the fiber and textile industries.
- The tires and industrial rubber products application segment dominated the market, and it is expected to grow during the forecast period (2022-2027).
· Growth in the adoption of electric cars and self-driving cars is likely to act as an opportunity in the future.
· Asia-Pacific dominated the market worldwide, with the largest consumption from China and India.
Scope of the Report
Carbon black is produced by incomplete combustion of heavy petroleum products, such as coal tar, FCC tar, or ethylene cracking tar. The carbon black market is segmented by process type (furnace black, gas black, lamp black, and thermal black), application (tires and industrial rubber products, plastics, toners and printing inks, paints and coatings, textile fibers, and other applications), and geography. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the market in 16 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done based on volume (kiloton) and value (USD million).
|Tires and Industrial Rubber Products|
|Toners and Printing Inks|
Key Market Trends
Increasing Application of Tires and Industrial Rubber Products
- The tires and industrial rubber products segment is the largest application segment of the market, accounting for more than 80% of the market share.
- Carbon black is used in vehicle tires as a filler and a strengthening and reinforcing agent.
- According to Kordsa Teknik Tekstil AS, the global tire industry’s volume reached 1.498 billion units in 2020, a dip of 11.5% from 2019. Moreover, the total global tire industry volume is projected to reach 1.813 billion units by 2023.
- Besides tires, carbon black is also required for various molded and extruded industrial rubber products, such as conveyor belts, gaskets, air springs, grommets, vibration isolation devices, and hoses. It provides flex strength in such products.
- In the rubber industry, carbon black is majorly used as a filler to achieve reinforcing effects, such as altering the modulus or tensile strength. In rubber-based adhesives, sealants, and coatings, it is used to enhance the intermolecular or cohesive force of the product and impart conductivity.
- According to the Association of Natural Rubber Producing Countries, the outlook for world demand on natural rubber (NR) is estimated to grow by 9.3% Y-o-Y to 14.1 million ton in 2021.
- This scenario is expected to boost the market demand for carbon black globally during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
China to Dominate the Market in the Asia-Pacific Region
- China accounts for a higher share of the world's carbon black capacity and production. Any demand-supply imbalance in China can affect domestic players' market share and performance.
- On the other hand, China generates carbon black primarily through the Carbon Black Oil (CBO)/Coal Tar pathway, which has higher pricing than CBFS. Furthermore, the cost of carbon black rose in China due to plant closures resulting from the Chinese government's increasingly aggressive environmental protection program.
- China contributes nearly 33% of the global carbon black production capacity, with a volume of almost 5.7 million metric ton in 2019. China is also the largest global exporter of carbon black. The primary carbon black feedstock is coal tar, and other carbon black feedstocks include slurry oil and ethylene tar.
- The top local manufacturers of carbon black are Jiangxi Black Cat, Longxing Chemicals, Shanxi Yongdong Chemicals, Shanxi Anlun Chemicals, Liaobin Carbon Black, Shanxi Sanqiang New Energy Technology Co. Ltd, Suzhou Baohua Carbon Black, Shandong Jinneng Technology, Shandong NST Carbon Black, Yunan Yunwei Feihu Chemicals, Qujin Zongyi Chemicals, and Shandong Best Chemicals. Among these, Jiangxi Black Cat is the largest producer, with a capacity of over 1.9 million metric ton.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The carbon black market is consolidated, with the top 10 players holding more than 61% of the market share. The major companies for the carbon black market include (in no particular order) Cabot Corporation, Birla Carbon, Orion Engineered Carbons SA, Jiangxi Black Cat Carbon Black Co. Ltd, Tokai Carbon Co. Ltd, and China Synthetic Rubber Corporation.
- In July 2021, Orion Engineered Carbons SA has partnered with RISE Research Institutes of Sweden in a project to develop and produce renewable carbon black (rCB).
- In June 2021, Orion Engineered Carbons SA has joined the HiQ-CARB consortium to provide the lithium-ion battery industry with sustainable and high-performance carbon additives.
- In January 2021, Himadri Specialty Chemical Ltd has joined hands with Petrotech Group in Rajasthan for marketing their Carbon Black pigments.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Application in Fiber and Textile Industries
4.1.2 Increasing Market Penetration of Specialty Black
4.2.1 Availability of Substitutes
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Technology Landscape
4.6 Production Analysis
4.7 Trade Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Process Type
5.1.1 Furnace Black
5.1.2 Gas Black
5.1.3 Lamp Black
5.1.4 Thermal Black
5.2.1 Tires and Industrial Rubber Products
5.2.3 Toners and Printing Inks
5.2.5 Textile Fibers
5.2.6 Other Applications
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
184.108.40.206 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
220.127.116.11 Saudi Arabia
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 United Arab Emirates
126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share(%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Asahi Carbon Co. Ltd
6.4.2 Birla Carbon (Aditya Birla Group)
6.4.3 Cabot Corporation
6.4.4 Tokai Carbon Co. Ltd
6.4.5 International CSRC Investment Holdings Co. Ltd
6.4.6 Abu Dhabi National Oil Company
6.4.7 Imerys Graphite & Carbon
6.4.8 Jiangxi Black Cat Carbon Black Co. Ltd
6.4.10 Longxing Chemical Stock Co. Ltd
6.4.11 Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
6.4.13 OCI Company Ltd
6.4.14 Orion Engineered Carbons GmbH
6.4.15 Phillips Carbon Black Limited
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growth in the Adoption of Electric Cars and Self-driving Cars
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Carbon Black Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Carbon Black Market?
The Carbon Black Market is growing at a CAGR of >2% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Carbon Black Market?
North America is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Carbon Black Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Carbon Black Market?
Cabot Corporation, Aditya Birla Group , Orion Engineered Carbons GmbH, Jiangxi black cat carbon black Co. Ltd are the major companies operating in Carbon Black Market.