Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Brazil Plastic Packaging market was expected to register a CAGR of 2.32% during the forecast period (2021-2026). The COVID-19 pandemic provided significant relief to the plastic packaging vendors. Although many countries were slowly banning such packaging and promoting reusable packaging, the outbreak changed the consumers’ and governments’ behavior toward them. Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the demand for nutritional drinks and healthy food increased exponentially. The majority of these products are packaged with single-use plastic. The orders were so huge on a global level that the manufacturers and packaging companies in the field even expanded their facilities, which was also supported by most of the governments.
- The commercial success of single-use plastics as a packaging product is due to a combination of flexibility, strength, lightness, stability, impermeability, and ease of sterilization, which is still driving their usage despite all the environmental concerns surrounding such packaging. Although plastic can be substituted by materials such as aluminum, glass, and metals that are more likely to be recycled, they typically weigh a lot more than plastic and consequently end up using more energy. On the other hand, paper-based materials are lighter but are not necessarily suited for the intricacies of packaging food and beverages.
- The lightweight property of the plastic is driving the growth of the plastic packaging in Brazil. Glass is much heavier compared to plastic, which means more trips would be required while transporting. This translates to a more significant environmental impact. Glass is also much heavier for the end consumer, whereas plastic is lightweight and much easier to carry.
- Plastic bottles also provide a good shelf life to store the mineral water for an extended period. However, as the world is shifting towards a circular economy, bottled water manufacturers use recycled PET containers to store water. The containers must be kept in a dark place with no light exposure to avoid chemical reactions and bacterial growth. Also, with r-PET, the shelf life of the water bottle has been reduced to 20 days.
- Consumers are now using other packaging materials, which offer environment-friendly properties. The consumption of aluminum and glass is witnessing high adoption rates in the region, owing to the eco-friendly nature and high recyclability. Thus, consumers are increasingly moving toward other materials from plastic.
Scope of the report
Plastic packaging is a part of the multi-faceted system for providing products, from the point of manufacture to the point of consumption. Its principal purpose is to guard and ensure the safe and secure delivery of the product, in its flawless and perfect condition to the end-user (manufacturer of product or consumer). Its role in a circular economy is to sustain the value in a product for as long as required and to help remove product waste. The Brazil Plastic Packaging Market is segmented by Type (Rigid Plastic, Flexible Plastic), By End-User Industry (Food, Beverage, Healthcare, Personal Care and Household), and by Products (Bottles, Jars, Pouches, Trays, Containers, Bags, Films, Wraps).
Key Market Trends
Bottle are Observing a Significant Increase
- Bottled water not only has become the largest application for plastic closures, but it also promises and the greatest growth opportunities through 2021 with the increasing concerns over the safety and hygiene of drinking water.
- The current “on-the-go” lifestyle demands lightweight products that are easy to use. This trend has led to smaller and more convenient packaging. Vendors’ solutions for tailored caps and closures offer optimized, lighter designs and processing. Additionally, because of lightweight, bottled water producers have reduced plastic use by an average of 27 % in recent years.
- The IBWA is promoting the use of 100% recyclable plastic containers, including caps. Less virgin plastic is needed in the marketplace by collecting these bottles and reusing the plastic to make new containers from old ones. This instigates the market to adopt a circular economy: minimizing waste and making the most of existing resources. At a recycling rate of 33%, the single-serve PET plastic bottled water containers doubled in the last 10 years.
- According to International Bottled Water Association, unlike tap water, which is regulated by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), bottled water is regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a packaged food product to provide a consistently safe and reliable source of drinking water.
- Most plastic bottles used for soft drinks and water are made from polyethylene terephthalate (PET), which is highly recyclable. But as their use soars across the globe, efforts to collect and recycle the bottles to keep them from polluting the oceans, are failing to keep up.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Food is One of the Significant Factor for Market Growth
- The E-commerce industry led to the trend of online food delivery in the region, which is experiencing an upsurge due to the rising number of online food delivery platforms, enabling the industry players to gain a more significant footprint by registering on such platforms. This has led to an increased usage of caps and closure for the effective packaging of food.
- Several environmental concerns were raised to reduce the usage of plastic in food packaging. This led to the usage of alternative food packaging options instead of plastic, such as cardboard, paperboard cartons, and poaches. These are already being used for cakes, dry fruits, and other dry foods, etc. The use of alternative packaging may restrain the growth of the studied market in the future.
- The market for small-sized plastic containers is anticipated to witness growth, with the sales of dairy products, jams, etc. In recent years the sales of yogurt witnessed a slump. Hence, in order to regain the demand, many manufacturers are launching new products.
- Additionally, yogurt manufacturers have been forced to reclaim the health benefits of the products to be able to retain their market shares. Consumers have started to show interest in plant-based alternative products and, in general, they look for transparency, in terms of ingredients.
As the demand for plastic packaging has been increasing significantly in the Brazil region, the market is mildly concentrated with the presence of major players like Amcor, Coveris Holding, Berry Global, Sealed Air Corporation, Constantia Flexibles, among others.
- Jan 2021 - Wipak has partnered with Arla Foods, Paulig, and VTT to test Thermocell, a cellulose and fatty acid-based plastic film, to create food packaging. The bio-based substance is constructed of renewable materials and can be used instead of oil or fossil-based plastic. The company has been assisting with the material's market launch by sharing its creative development knowledge in durable materials and testing and certifying Thermocell's compatibility for food applications.
- March 2021 - A partner for the maintenance, repair, and handling of passive bulk temperature-controlled containers at several key locations was announced by Sonoco ThermoSafe, a Sonoco unit provider of temperature-assured packaging solutions, and Unilode Aviation Solutions, a company dealing with outsourced unit load management and repair services.
- June 2021 -Constantia Flexibles announced the completion of its acquisition of Propak and welcome Constantia Propak to its global network. Constantia Propak will provide a natural fit to Constantia Flexibles' packaging solutions offering, as one of the main competitors in the European snacking industry operating out of a single factory in Dücze. Constantia Flexibles is now a major participant in the European snack sector as a result of this acquisition.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Market Drivers
4.4.1 Increasing Adoption of Lightweight-packaging Methods
4.4.2 Increased eco-friendly packaging and recycled plastic
4.5 Market Challenges
4.5.1 High Price of Raw Material (Plastic Resin)
4.5.2 Government Regulations & Environmental Concerns
5. IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON THE MARKET
6. MARKET SEGEMENTATION
6.1 By Packaging Type
6.1.1 Flexible Plastic Packaging
6.1.2 Rigid Plastic Packaging
6.2 By Product Type
6.2.1 Bottles and Jars
6.2.2 Trays and containers
6.2.5 Films & Wraps
6.2.6 Other Product Types
6.3 By End-User Vertical
6.3.4 Personal care and Household
6.3.5 Other End-User
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Amcor Plc
7.1.2 Coveris Holding
7.1.3 Berry Global
7.1.4 Constantia Flexibles
7.1.5 Wipak Ltd.
7.1.6 Sonoco Products Company
7.1.7 Sealed Air Corporation
7.1.8 National Flexible
7.1.9 Tetra Laval
7.1.10 Silgan Holdings
8. INVESTMENT ANLAYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Brazil Plastic Packaging Market market is studied from 2019 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Brazil Plastic Packaging Market?
The Brazil Plastic Packaging Market is growing at a CAGR of 2.32% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Brazil Plastic Packaging Market?
Coveris Holding, Constantia Flexibles, Berry Global, Amcor Plc, Sonoco Products Company are the major companies operating in Brazil Plastic Packaging Market.